wrapping the rope while belaying

carolyn

Im posting this in the newbies forum, cause I feel like I should know this - but I dont!

In the last couple weeks Ive had a number of people tell me that the local gym is suggesting they wrap the rope around itself near the anchors as a way to increase friction when belaying someone who is bigger than you.

I dont have decades worth of knowledge and experience. However, this just doesnt seem to make sense to me. I mean, it makes sense. It just doesnt seem like the best idea.

First, I dont think I want my rope constantly being rubbed together like that.

Second, how is that going to keep me from getting lifted? The same amount of weight is getting forced on the belayer, isnt it? I can see the friction making it more difficult to drop the person. I can also see the added friction making it more difficult to properly belay the climber (without excessive 'penalty' slack).

Third, MAYBE...just MAYBE this is practical for a gym setting. Yet, how practical is it to teach this to people when they may wind up climbing outside? Or belaying a leader someday? Wouldnt you want to teach someone how and where to stand to decrease a pull? Discuss the pros and cons of clipping into an anchor (and maybe even having them available at the gym)? How about having someone hold you down, when that is an option?

I know I have plenty left to learn about climbing. But my senses tell me this is not the best tactic and not something I would recommend or teach other people

Correct me if Im wrong

or

Explain to me how this is an exceptable way to belay when there is a big difference in weight between the climber and belayer.

:brew:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the kind of anchors! A lot of gyms use large round stock steel tubes for there anchors- 6 or more inches in diameter- If you put an extra rap around it it will increase the friction alot and make for easier belaying with folks that are light. it also makes the ropes last longer as they are sujected to way less impact force during TR falls. Even though the forces are already small they make them even smaller and save the ropes.

Obviously if they are carabiners this will not work.

dale

It seems like a bad idea to me too. Not a disastrous idea, but a bad idea.

That was pretty much my thought.

And Daler, Thanks for explaining it further.

I dont go to the gym very often, so I thought maybe I was missing something. I just wish these guys would clarify to people that its really only a trick to use in THEIR gym - not everywhere and anywhere.

Depends on the kind of anchors! A lot of gyms use large round stock steel tubes for there anchors- 6 or more inches in diameter- If you put an extra rap around it it will increase the friction alot and make for easier belaying with folks that are light. it also makes the ropes last longer as they are sujected to way less impact force during TR falls. Even though the forces are already small they make them even smaller and save the ropes.

Obviously if they are carabiners this will not work.

dale

Increses the friction a whole bunch. It would certainly help keep you on the ground Carolyn. The outdoor equivalent would be someone taking a fall with a whole bunch of rope drag. If there's enough rope drag the belayer might not even know.

It won't decrease the impact force on the rope though. It would actually increase the force on the climbers side of the rope, as less force would be transfered to the rope on the belayer side. A smaller amount of rope to absorb the impact restults in a higher fall factor.

With carabiners and real rock it seems like a great way to get your rope stuck. :)

This was taught also at a top rope manager certification course I took. Makes great sense to me. It does provide more friction for the belayer, the ropes are not rubbing across one spot in the rope, the ropes are rubbing in a constantly moving place and therefore will not burn through. I have used it often since learning the trick, and it has worked well. If you want to know how much extra friction it adds, put a few wraps in the rope next time you try pulling your rope. I use it outdoors and it works beautifully.

I vote "yes."