[TR] Snake River - Higher Learning (FA) 1/18/2007

kurthicks

Trip: Snake River - Higher Learning (FA)

Date: 1/18/2007

Trip Report:

Justin and I decided to skip our formal coursework and take our education outdoors today. We climbed what we believe to be a new route along the Snake River, about 3 miles east of Granite Point.

"Higher Learning" WI4+/5-, 65' of ice.

higherlearning.jpg

Side view of higher learning

higherside.jpg

About 2/3 up the route. The pillar above was fully detached and shook throughout whenever I swung into it.

higherFA.jpg

We decided to walk off to the right (which included horrendous berrybrush bushwacking and a crotch deep creek fording). It is better to rap the route with 2 ropes from the bush we slung.

Justin post climb. It is the hardest route he's ever done.

higher1.jpg

FA: Kurt Hicks, Justin Hougham

Higher Learning

WI4+/5-, 65'

Gear Notes:

A half dozen screws

Gear to .75", mostly stoppers and pitons

2 ropes to rappel

Approach Notes:

At milepost 19 on Wawawai River Road, a couple miles toward Lewiston from Granite Point.

higherapp.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's water in the Palouse after all! Any of you guys find anything around Palouse River Falls? Ever been down there this time of year? I've been working out there a lot recently looking at water rights and saw a ton of seeps where the basalt layers transitioned over down in the canyon. Looks like a ton of potential if the weather and water is right....

way to go! why do you need to ropes to rap a 65' climb?

because only anchor (a bush) was about 60' back from the edge, making it about 130' to the ground. If it stays up after this warm snap, I am going to go put a bolt anchor at the lip.

watch out for trains! damn objective danger..

This is no joke! One passed by as Justin was just finishing following the climb. I swear the whole place shook.

way to go! why do you need to ropes to rap a 65' climb?

because only anchor (a bush) was about 60' back from the edge, making it about 130' to the ground.

That's what I woulda thought.

If it stays up after this warm snap, I am going to go put a bolt anchor at the lip.

So you're thinking this is gonna come back in again in your lifetime?

PS: Like your climbing wardrobe, Kurt... "Levi 501s: the new softshell" :laf:

I have driven every dirt single road from Rosalia South to Wawaiwai Canyon and East to Central Ferry State Park and North to Winona this past summer. I literally spent three straight weeks driving these roas to document dwater right use. In the process I got to see some amazing potential for ice as well as scope out some awesome upland bird hunting. Drop me a PM and you guys can Do check some other areas out I thought might be promising. The key is to find the break in the Wanapum and Grande Ronde basalts where water would seep out and are exposed. I will be out there next Wednesday (meetings in Colfax and Spokane)if you want me to go over some maps (Gazateer) I could point you to some good spots*****Caviat: A lot of those dirt roads, while named and public, can be really difficult to travel on during the winter without four wheel drive.....