mt adams questions

hammer1

i am looking to talk with an experienced climber that knows mt adams. i am headed up with my 14yr old son. i have questions re: type of boots/permits/roping up/possible crevasses in july/mtn sickness? and a few other questions. email me if you have time for a conversation. i really appreciate any help. thanks. we live in wisconsin and are headed out this summer.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a good amount of info at the following site:

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/mount-adams/

Im no expert by any means, but I have been up the south route. The south is the most traveled route, and some do it in a day. Your not crossing any crevasses, and I saw no one roped up and there where lots of people up there. Some were hiking up in sweatshirts and bluejeans(not recommended though). When I went the only "technical gear" I brought along was a ice axe and crampons, oh can't forget my splitboard :). We camped at lunch counter, which is about 9,000'. Check out that website. Im sure many others here will give advice also.

Boots:

Something warm and waterproof. No real need to rent plastic boots if you have adequate hiking boots. But you'll likely be hiking through snow for much of the route and it's very cold in the morning up high.

Permits:

Needed to climb above 7000 feet. You can pick one up at the ranger station in Trout Lake on your way in. They do not limit the number of permits issued.

Roping Up:

I've never heard of anyone roping up to climb the standard south spur route but you're a better judge of your snow climbing ability than me.

Crevasses:

Never seen (or heard of) any on the south spur route. There are crevasses on other adjacent routes so that could be a hazard if you get lost and wonder waaay off route.

Mtn Sickness:

Can be a real inconvenience up there. You're not likely to die of cerebral edema but lots of folks get AMS. Learn to recognize the symptoms and exercise good judgement on when to turn back.

Other Hazards:

If you choose to glissade down (sitting on your butt sliding down feet first) for God's sake take your crampons off first! Seems like someone snaps a leg every year doing that.

If you do your research and plan carefully, you'll likely find Mount Adams a pleasant and technically easy (though physically demanding) hike. Best of luck!

Here's some pics,

The basic non-technical route (did it as a day trip in August last year):

209992141_7e8f2c19d5_o.jpg

And the classic profile pic when I did two months prior in July:

175610260_5b8d1a372e_b.jpg

Feel free to e-mail me at shawn96438@yahoo.com and I'll be happy to forward you a gps track and some more info.

In July, the route from Cold Springs will be very easy to follow. You can pick a permit up at the ranger station in Trout Lake on the way. They are outside, so you don't need to worry about it being open.

If you are bringing enough gear with you to backpack, camping at the Lunch Counter is unforgettable your first time. Bring everything you can think of to purify water though. Even in July it will be windy and cool by morning. Great views though.

I usually just do it as a day hike now. So if you don't want to bring all of the camping gear, you can still do the climb. I get to the trailhead at 5:00am, leave at 5:30 and get to the Lunch Counter at 8:30. False summit at 10:30 and the summit at 11:30. Of course all of this depends on weather, snow, etc.

With a 14 year old, the camping would probably be nicer, just have to haul your stuff up there.

There are also some nice camping places in small groves just below treeline. Much less crowded than lunch counter. Note the location of your camp carefully though, or mark a waypoint on your GPS, else picking the right gully to find your campsite on the descent can be difficult.

shawn...great photo..thanks for this adams info. is the lunch counter camping area visible on this photo?? where? thanks again.

Hammer1, I didn't spend much time playing with the photo but you should get the idea of where it is. Have fun - its a beautiful place.

368525274_03bbb194c1_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...