Partner wanted Mt. Challenger

wayne

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Methinks that's a little scary trying to recruit climbing partners like that. Do you readily tie in w/ someone you know nothing about, don't know their skill level or climbing style, amount of risk they're willing to take or amount of effort they will put into avoiding any kind of risk. On 2 occassions I've climbed with someone I had just met, and while they were nice people I didn't enjoy the experience because the climbing compatability just wasn't there. I hope to avoid that situation in the future. You're free to climb w/ whoever you want and I've seen other posts trying to hook up w/ partners like that, but I just think it's kinda sketchy. Good luck.

nolan, you probably shouldn't even be driving if these are concerns of yours. i would think that there are a lot more scary drivers in the world then climbers. sure you might want to check homeboy out before headin into the hills, but thats why we have crags and beer.

driving is about 150 time more dangerous and i highly doubt that i know most of the drivers or their abilities out there.

I picked up two partners in the campground for Mt. Cook and it turned out one of them despite claiming to have climbed a bunch of 600m peaks and stuff, had never been on a glacier before. We abandoned him on a saddle halfway up Zurbiriggens Ridge and told him "If we survive (! just to scare him) we will pick you up on the way back down - don't try to descend by yourself you will fall into a crevasse and die".

We did pick him up and made him buy all the beer and so on for the next two days of Recovery for our "guides fee".

I'm with mattp on this one- everyone's a stranger until you get to know them. I would have missed out on some awesome climbing experiences in my career if I'd been unwilling to climb with people I didn't know. I've had very few regrets (and certainly no life-threatening incidents), & the +'s have far outweighed the -'s.

Wayne- I'd normally be interested... Challenger's on my short list of peaks to do, but that week's no good for me. Cheers,

[This message has been edited by Kyle (edited 06-14-2001).]

I picked up erik off this web site and was not disappointed! (have fun with this line boys!)

Let me just say I moved to Washington to be closer to the Cascades and do not have a regular partner. I have a tick list too and it isn't necesarily a shabby one. My situation is I'm married with a six year old son and am too flakey to be anyone's consistant partner. So nobody calls me! But I am also self employed and can take off whenever I want. As a result, I tend to be enticed only by worthwhile routes that will challege me and offer more importantly a lot of fun. I suspect many of you might think 41 is "old" but I don't think so. You may think I might be slow, but I don't think so.

I share (somewhat) the same fears mentioned by Nolanr, so am often reluctant to respond to posts like this. It so happens I have met Wayne (at Banff film fest) and don't really know much about him. But I may just look into this as I have always wanted to venture into this area. Does anyone know Wayne and give a recommendation?

If anyone wants to know more about me, ask me for my resume or ask erik.

I also should say I am somewhat cautious of people who can't seem to use their real names. Makes me wonder what you are hiding? Maybe we should treat our profiles a little more seriously. Leave the jokes to the posts!

ciao,

Dave

Dave I am not hiding behind profiles I like the name I have chosen.. As far as personal info is concerned if you want to know it send me a brief personal message. I don't feel it is necessary to advertise to everyone.

I don't care who people are to a realistic extent myself either. I have about 10-15 different people I climb with and most all of them know each other through me. I linked up with a large number of them the first time without knowing crap about them and their ages. Some of them older some younger whatever...

I don't want nobody's resume unless I am attempting something a little more serious. Although I know of one guy that posts here that I will not climb with from a past experience. But I don't bumble out to the hardest climb with someone I don't know either. I think most of us are grown up here enough to make their own decisions.

Most of the time it is true that I have my own agendas and link up randomly with others that may have similar goals or climbs. But if people want to go craggin I am almost always willing if my schedule permits. I have taken several people climbing through this board and we had killer times.

-Cpt

Like Big Lou says, if she's kind enough to "speak into the microphone", don't go spreading her name around town. Anyway, she was the kind of girl who had no future in rock climbing: due to visual obstructions, she had terrible footwork!