Help -- I smoked a cigarette

rob

OK, so I'm normally a very healthy guy. I hit the gym 3-5 times a week, I eat very well, etc. I quit smoking cigarettes about 2 years ago.

Today was a really stressfull day for me (doing interviews) and I broke down and bummed a cigarette. And I skipped the gym today. My question is, how much should I beat myself up over the cigarette? Physically, how much damage do you think that one cigarette did?

Yikes! I skipped the gym, smoked a cigarette -- what's next? Lying in a gutter chain-smoking camels and inhaling big macs, that's what.

I need some encouragement. Do you guys ever fall down? I need some fluffing.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this pack-a-decade habit that I'm pretty concerned about as well. If I'm having some beers around a campsite and someone offers me a cigarette, I usually take it.

Seriously, though, I think you could probably treat yourself to a smoke now and then without it having any effect whatsoever on your longevity. If you are a climber, especially one who enjoys alpine climbing, the occasional smoke is probably one of the last things likely to cut your life short.

The only caveat is that if you doubt your ability to use willpower to voluntarily limit your nicotine intake, you should bash the bejesus out of yourself and expect, descend into a state of acute self-loathing, and expect to find yourself hunched over and hacking out roofing-tar in two years or less.

well, it depends if you see yourself smoking another cig. in the near future.

I quit a couple years ago and I've slipped up a couple of times and have felt awful about it. (Its good that you feel bad about it....when you stop caring is when you'll start smoking again!)I'd feel worse about skipping the gym!

It's like giving your climbing partner a blowjob. If it's happening more than once a trip, maybe you have fag issues.

Hey! A guy cuts down a couple of trees, does that make him a logger?

Also, if your male climbing partner gives you a blow job, does that make both of you gay?

OK, so I'm normally a very healthy guy. I hit the gym 3-5 times a week, I eat very well, etc. I quit smoking cigarettes about 2 years ago.

Today was a really stressfull day for me (doing interviews) and I broke down and bummed a cigarette. And I skipped the gym today. My question is, how much should I beat myself up over the cigarette? Physically, how much damage do you think that one cigarette did?

Yikes! I skipped the gym, smoked a cigarette -- what's next? Lying in a gutter chain-smoking camels and inhaling big macs, that's what.

I need some encouragement. Do you guys ever fall down? I need some fluffing.

Question: Are you keeping track of how long it has been since you quit?

"What's wrong, Kevin?"

"Aaah, these guys at work, they're always teasing me. The latest is some dumb name. I mean, I hammer nails all day - they don't call be Kevin the Hammerer. I've driven trucks all my life, but they don't call me Kevin the Truckdriver. I shoot a mean crap game, I'm good at poker, but they don't call me Kevin the Gambler. But I suck one cock, just one, and..."

"Aaah, these guys at work, they're always teasing me. The latest is some dumb name. I mean, I hammer nails all day - they don't call be Kevin the Hammerer. I've driven trucks all my life, but they don't call me Kevin the Truckdriver. I shoot a mean crap game, I'm good at poker, but they don't call me Kevin the Gambler. But I suck one cock, just one, and..."

G-spotter.....that is funny.

The question is are you keeping track of you non smoking days? If so...you have fucked that track record up. Not you must start all over at day 1. I know this because I used to smoke a pack a day and I quit. It has been almost 11 years since I took a drag. You can do it. Smoking sucks.

Nicotine is probably the most addictive drug on the market.

First look at the cause of you smoking, the cause was stress,

the stress allowed you to break your healthy regimen. It is not the end of the world, it is a time to reflect and become more

aware as you have indicated by this thread.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

To be healthy there are three keys as I see it. First, healthy

diet and environment. 2nd, exercise on a regular basis. 3rd

low stress, happy in personal life and work. In life you

always can improve on any of these three. How to do so? by

study, learning and self reflection. Your way will not be my

way and our way won't be someone else's way but we all can learn

from other people wanting to be more happy and healthy.

Why to train, to exercise? If it is just a chore and hard work

it will be hard to keep up, you will quit someday and be fat and

out of shape, smoking and hitting the big macks.

For me, I like to vari my workouts, not the same thing week after

week, year after year. It is good to have goals, a big trip

to Rainer for example. I like to have a goal, it helps to

motivate you to be in shape. I am thinking about joining a SAR

group, great motivator to be in shape, and of course try to

have fun doing it. This is for the long haul, a person's whole lifestyle has to be involved to stay healthy. Holistic, this

term helps.

Edited by DanO

• 2 weeks later...

Tell me I'm wrong but, doesn't seem to have bothered some of the older hard core climbers. I swear I remember seeing a bunch of pictures of (Jim Bridwell is one name that came to mind) smoking cigs. Weren't there a bunch of climbers sponsored by Camel too? Hell, they were climbing with bottles of wine, smoking joints between cigs, while tripping on acid! So, you had one cig huh? Good for you.