skin recommendation?

suckbm

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

skins don't come in different lengths...only different widths

take whatever your ski tip width is, subtract 10mm, and thats the size that would probably work just fine for ya without paying for (and then trimming away) too much excess

BD skins tend to have a better more durable glue, but I think their various tail attachment systems kinda suck. G3 skins have crappy glue, but I like their tail attachment systems much better...and you can always reglue when the start to crap out on ya.

good luck!

You might read this thread for a discussion of G3 glue and attachment.

I have BD ascensions and I like them. When I have the length adjusted just right the tail attachment works great. If it is just a little too loose or too tight it pops off. You are relying on the glue at that point.

I second the 10mm or so less than tip width. You don't need to waste money by cutting off a bunch of skin.

I was part of the G3 glue thread, but I'd like to reiterate here that I wish I hadn't bought G3 skins. What I don't like:

1. The glue gave up after 1/2 season

2. The flexible tip loop is always falling off the front of my skis (work stinx which are = Mt Bakers so watch out!)

3. The edges of the skins are fraying (should have cut w/ a hot knife instead of the razor that came with?)

4. glide isn't as good as my BD skins.

It seems like others have had better experiences than me so maybe I'm just a grump. Still, I'd go for BD skins.

I have both G3 and BD skins and am a much bigger fan of the BD set. I haven't had problems with the glue on the G3 skins but have had a lot of problems with the tail system -- it tends to come off a lot. The BD skin glue has lasted a long time and the tail system is much easier to use and stays on a lot better

Does BD have more than one type of attachment system? The reason I ask is I have been renting randonee gear and have noticed that the two sets of BD skins I have rented had two different types of attachments for the tail. I liked the rubber strap camming attachment better. What is your guys opinion on which BD skin to get the glidelites, or ascension, and which attachment is best?