[TR] Snow Creek Wall - White Slabs Ice 1/14/2007

DirtyHarry

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Job guys. We did it today 1/28/07 and Kurt Haire thought the conditions were way better than when you did it a couple of weeks ago. We finished it in 5 pitches and then rapped down in four double rope raps. It's in good condition. We'll return your dropped quickdraw if you guys can find my dropped v-threader:-).

We stopped when the ice ended and and found wrap slings around a tree. Looked to be an easy snow slope slog to the top above us. We never did any traversing left as you guys mentioned in your post; so I'm wondering if we'd topped out further to your right because there didn't appear to be any place for an unprotected 5.9+ chimney sickness above us. Loved that belay cave!

right - Kyle and I finished on White Fright. Talked with Dan, who said they could not have anchored a belay for that line two weeks ago. Well, it's obese ice now (gladly accepted the longest screws I can find to buy these days) and the direct finish is sweet climbing. Ice on the first two pitches is more than twice the thickness of two weeks ago - comforting.

also - rapping down the White Slabs summer rock route - looks like that line could provide some superb-quality "classic" mixed climbing. By "classic" I mean less than vertical - no figure-4 required... Lotsa clean cracks to sew up - might have to go back for it...

EmKay and I did this on Feb 1, Awe inspiring route in perfect conditions. Did it in 4 pitches and soloed the snow in the upper bowl to top out. 1st pitch 40m to a pin rap anchor, 3-4 R with thin sparse screws. 2nd pitch 4 R, 55m to 80deg even thinner sparser screws and some rotten ice, the crux pitch, belay was questionable, might have been better to simul up to better ice another 25'. 3rd pitch 3-4, 55m, went past the cave another 40', some thin ice at first but then got fat, went to an alcove with a red camalot crack. 4th pitch 3-4, 60m, bomber fat ice. Soloed steep snow bowl at the top, 45-50 deg, about 70m. I went up and right and finished with an interesting dry tool rock/snow gully/chimney (5.5) to get to the upper ridge, pick cams and stemming. Emkay soloed to the left in a snow gully to top out just above the O.S. finish. I traversed the ridge from where I went right, nice alpine ambiance.

Didn't see any rap anchors after the first pitch so we walked off the regular O.S. descent. Very fun, some interesting drytool down climbing and perfect styrofoam crust in an avy gully. Found the traverse around to the east side even though neither of us had been there in over 5 years. A little more tooling and perfect snow on the steep slabs back to the base. Would have been scary abakalovs, much better and funner to walk off. Ice pretty thin on first 2-1/2 pitches, totally rocked my tools.

Left the car at 5:30A, full moon on the trail, didn't even need headlamps, cross creek at dawn, back to packs at base by 3:30P. Boot pack trail to the creek crossing, snow steps to the base. Clear day, about 1-1/2 hrs of sun on the route but at an angle so the dihedrals and features were in the shade. The sun didn't affect the ice adversely. Totally classic, EmKay says he thinks it forms about once every 20 years.

Twin 60's, (thought we might rap) in retrospect a single 60 would be better.

12 or so express screws, 4 of them stubbies.

2 yates screamers but should have had at least 5

6 assorted pins, never used

6 nuts, never used

6 cams, used 2

better TR when EmKay brings the camera over for download.

All you CC klimber dawgs, git up off the couch and H-O-O-K I-T U-P!!!!!!!!

What Leavenworth would look like if it was covered in dam water.

LworthDam.jpg

BIG ICE!!!! on snow creek wall

Wall.jpg

1/2 way up the crux 2nd pitch, puttin' in screws that won't hold a fall.

2ndHalf.jpg

At the belay, top of 2nd pitch. "Let's not test this belay OK?"

2ndBelay.jpg

4th pitch, phat ice and exposure.

4th.jpg

summit ridge scenery

Ridge.jpg

Moon River on the return.

MoonRiver.jpg