Colchuck Peak

Wopper

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hiked up Aasgard Pass & over the Enchantments last weekend (6/9-10). The road & trail up to Colchuck Lake are indeed clear. Colchuck glacier has much less snow than typical for this time of year, but it looks to be in fine condition for climbing. Assuming you're comfortable on steepish snow and very easy rock scrambling, you don't need rope or pro on this route. My brother & I hiked it to the summit unroped a few years back, no problem at all, just loads of fun & great views of Dragontail & Stauart from the summit. Take one axe, crampons recommended.

My wife I climbed Colchuck two weeks ago..we opted to rope up...but is not necessary. The crampons are recomended. One steep section on the Colchuck Glacier...but if you were realy carefull...you should be fine. Above the Col the snow was soft and we stashed our crampons.

Has anyone been up to Colchuck Peak recently? The ranger station in Leavenworth says the road is clear to the trailhead and the trail is clear to the lake.

Do we need ropes, harnesses, any pro? From reading the description in Nelson's Guide, it appears to be a very straight forward route only requiring an axe and crampons. Any recent/general beta would be appreciated.