Smugglers Notch, VT

AlpinistAndrew

I'm out here in VT for the winter. Ironic that its warm out here but WA is getting blasted. Just recently it got cold enough for ice to form. So I went to check it out up at Smugglers Nothc with my fiance this morning. We get up there to one of the walls (Workout Wall) and the thing is just dripping wet and the upper icicles are about ready to drop. So we go to the right and find some easier, more "formed" stuff, ice I would normally scoff at, but beggars cant be choosers. Well, its too thin to lead, so I am gearing up to walk around and toprope it when I hear a very loud noise. I see a camoflauge snow cat coming up the unplowed road we had just hiked up. Then a military fellow saunters up to where my fiance and I are standing. Says in a smug tone "you gonna be here all day?" and drops his pack down right next to us. I'm standing there stunned, thinking, what the fuck are you doing right next me. Next thing I know there is a dozen buzz cut camo outfitted guys coming up the hill dumping there gear around us. One guy says that there is going to be a large group coming. I'm pretty pissed at this point and we leave. They were rude and inconsiderate and ruined our excursion. If they were a group of climbers it would be one thing, but these guys thought they were hot shit and could just muscle us out. They were the 10th mountain division or something, i don't know or care. but, hopefully all that ice climbing they did today will prepare them for going over to the middle east or our next war in antartica. DSCN0493.JPGDSCN0492.JPG

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, no shit? Like, the same thing happened to me last summer at Castle Rock in L-worth. These mounties came up, threw their gear down right next to me and got ready to climb. But guess what? We talked for a few minutes, and they decided to climb around the corner, out of our way. Maybe that wasn't possible on this small section of climable ice you found, but when the dude asked if "you gonna be here all day?", you could have said, "no, but we are going to do a couple of laps before we leave". I'll bet they would have been fine setting up their TR's somewhere else. It sucks that they ruined the wilderness experience you were enjoying with your fiance, but they still gota get their training in, and they probably figured that they were less likely to disturb other climbers by going on a weekday.

"If they were a group of climbers it would be one thing...."

I have some good friends with the 10th MD, and they are actually pretty serious climbers.

but they still gota get their training in

Training for what? Is there really a great reason for US tax dollars to support 20ish peoples salary and military benefits so they can learn to climb ice? Tell me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure than I can think of too too many operational military situations where ice climbing is a necessary skill. Are they planning on an assult on Cobra's secret ice stronghold?

I understand that learning ice climbing can help teach other important things, like ropework, anchor building, teamwork, etc, but I feel like you can get that elsewhere without crowding out small crags. Of course I wasn't there, and I'm not familiar with the area, so I shouldn't make judgements. :pagetop:

As AlpinistAndrew pointed out it's been warm, and by warm he means friggin HOT! So even though smuggs usually has a lot of options...well...they just aren't around right now.

Last weekend for me should have been some phenomenol climbing in the Daks, but as it was near 70 on saturday around the Catskills and in the mid 50's and sunny on sunday... we opted to get some climbing done at the gunks instead...

Although, it still sucks to get an area taken over regardless of who it is...

Obviously, you guys don't know anything about how ice climbing plays into combat, espionage, and intrigue (not to mention Hollywood). Why, just one glance at the link below will certainly elucidate the need for this cross-training of our elite military corps of climbers, and anyone not in agreement with this relationship must clearly be against us!

Get schooled! :laf: :laf: