How old is the Grand Canyon

Jim

HOW OLD IS THE GRAND CANYON? PARK SERVICE WON’T SAY — Orders to Cater to Creationists Makes National Park Agnostic on Geology

Washington, DC — Grand Canyon National Park is not permitted to give an official estimate of the geologic age of its principal feature, due to pressure from Bush administration appointees. Despite promising a prompt review of its approval for a book claiming the Grand Canyon was created by Noah's flood rather than by geologic forces, more than three years later no review has ever been done and the book remains on sale at the park, according to documents released today by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER).

“In order to avoid offending religious fundamentalists, our National Park Service is under orders to suspend its belief in geology,” stated PEER Executive Director Jeff Ruch. “It is disconcerting that the official position of a national park as to the geologic age of the Grand Canyon is ‘no comment

http://www.peer.org/news/news_id.php?row_id=801

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't doubt that theo-con Bush appointees have pulled a lot of this kind of shit. But I always wonder who leaks these kinds of stories and how true they are.

I checked out the NPS site on Grand Canyon. See the FAQs section of the website :

How old is the Canyon?

That's a tricky question. Although rocks exposed in the walls of the canyon are geologically quite old, the Canyon itself is a fairly young feature. The oldest rocks at the canyon bottom are close to 2000 million years old. The Canyon itself - an erosional feature - has formed only in the past five or six million years. Geologically speaking, Grand Canyon is very young.

Are the oldest rocks in the world exposed at Grand Canyon?

No. Although the oldest rocks at Grand Canyon (2000 million years old) are fairly old by any standard, the oldest rocks in the world are closer to 4000 million years old. The oldest exposed rocks in North America, which are among the oldest rocks in the world, are in northern Canada.

Of course, it doesn't mean that Bush and the majority of Americans think the world is only 6000 years old. This billions of years thing is clearly a goddless, tax-and-spend liberal myth.

Science is our attempt to understand the universe. When done correctly there isn't right and wrong science, there is just less complete and more complete science. If evolution is being taught as a fact, someone is badly missing the point.

Science and religion should be orthogonal to one another. Science is by definition about what we can prove with evidence, and religion is by definition about what we cannot prove and must believe without evidence.

Science is our attempt to understand the universe. When done correctly there isn't right and wrong science, there is just less complete and more complete science. If evolution is being taught as a fact, someone is badly missing the point.

Science and religion should be orthogonal to one another. Science is by definition about what we can prove with evidence, and religion is by definition about what we cannot prove and must believe without evidence.

Noting counterfeit about this fake -- you are the real thing: No science. No religion. Just fake.

"Geysers of Old Faithful: Nostrils of Satan"
:lmao:

"Science is the new religion". Discuss.

e.g. "Theory" of evolution taught as fact, despite significant gaps in the fossil record and supporting evidence.

True that, Evolution is taught as though it were a fact. Sort of like Gravity and all that other theoretical shit.

BTW, I nominate bsatch for cretin of the year award. Discuss.

Noting counterfeit about this fake -- you are the real thing: No science. No religion. Just fake.

What... what? Your incoherence baffles me.

If you have an argument with what I said, state it. I DARE you to make sense.

Funny thing here is everyone thinks they know how old it is but reality is nobody does becuase nobody was there. Any age given is only a theory. Bottom line is no one knows.

Stating that everything we know is wrong isn't really a scientific argument, it's an assertion. The assertion that you've made is basically a cop out because it keeps you from having to educate yourself and understand something complex (not that radioactive dating is as complex as, say, string theory). No one is available now to verify if Jesus existed so Jesus is only a theory, right?

As real is to fake, so are genuine definitions to you -- speaking in orthogonal terms... My fucking g0d-damn almighty! I said it! I said "orthogonal" just like a real fake!

(Regarding science and religion, please see Stephen Jay Gould for edification.)