Just a test

AlpineK

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the "Chinese" side? What a grand adventure. The pinkish color shift on your images is pretty cool, though perhaps not intended. What an odd looking beast, goretex label aside.

I bet there's good money in securing the yak-packing concession to Boston Basin and Goat Pass....

Here's a full view of the NE Ridge

Full_view_of_lower_NE_Ridge.JPG

We set fixed lines on the butress on the left. This photo was taken later on and you can see a big part of what set us back. Note the big avy debris. The actual route was to the left and above the debris, but it still freaked us out.

That's cool, I figure I'm just doing good by posting them.

Speaking of which.

Lorne_in_the_big_city.JPG

Our big ass base camp manager having a drink with some sherpani who were really impressed with him

Packing_up_to_Tibet.JPG

You've gotta haul all your crap up to meet the liaison officer in Tibet.

Hiking_out.JPG

When we left me and the two brits in our group decided to walk down valley as far as we could. We told our friends to tell the liaison at the last second that we were down valley. He was fucking pissed at us when he caught up with us.

I don't have any photos, but we spent the night at the hotel on the way out. We had a wild party and kind of trashed the building. We had to fight with the Chinese in the morning. They wanted to lock us up, but eventually they relented and drove us to the border.

Edited by AlpineK

While I'm at it I'll try one more.

Dead_guy_at_ABC.JPG

At advanced base camp we ran into this guy. I've forgotten his name, but he's a brit who came to Everest a long time ago by himself. He was going to solo Everest, but obviously things didn't work out.

Quoting from Lost on Everest by Peter Firstbrook,

"Of all these unauthorized ventures, the most remarkable was made by Marice Wilson in 1934. (p. 151)

"Wilson was a Yorkshireman, born in Bradford in 1898. Like most young men of his generatin, he joined the British Army on his eighteenth birthday and fought in France. He had distinguished record in the infantry and was awarded the Military Cross during the third battle of Ypres, before being seriously wounded by machine-gun fire and subsequently invalided home...

...(p. 151)"After a short rest, he set out alone in good weather up the East Rongbuk Glacier, carrying a 20 kg rucksack. The 21st of April was his birthday and he wrote: '36 to-day. Wished myself many happy returns. Had hellish cold feet all night. Storm stil raging...' The folowing day the weather continued to deteriorate and he reach a point just 5 km short of Camp III. He recorded in his diary: ' No use going on. Eyes terrible & throat dry....even huculean effor, could not make Camp II in time, weather bad.'

"Wilson was now in a serious perdicament: he was inexperienced, alone at high altitude, short of food, in great pain from his old war-wound and exhausted. By now, the temperature had fallen to -30 C, yet somehow he summoned enough energy to gather his things and struggel back to the monastery.. He had been alone on the glacier for nine days. Despite his ordeal, he wrote in his diary that night, 'I still know that I can do it'...

"...(p. 152) He staggered back to Camp III on 25 May, exhausted and beaten. He worte in his diary 'Only one thing to do - no food, no water - get back.' After two days rest, he had recovered and id his best to persuade the Sherpas to accompany him to Camp V: 'This will be a last effort, and I feel successful...' HIs Sherpas refuse do accompany him and on 29 May he set off alone. The last entry in his diary on 31 May 1934 read: 'Off again, gorgeous day.'

"The following year, Maurice Wilson's body was found by Eric Shipton's expedition. He was lying on his side alongside the remains of his tent. He had probaly died from a combination of exposure and exhaustion. Among his effects, Shipton and Warren recovered his diary, which is now kept in the archives of the Alpine Club in London. The climbing party wrapped his remains in his tent and buried him by rolling the body into a crevasse on the East Rongbuk. But just as his body occasionally reappears from its interment in the ice (it was found by the Chinese in 1960, again in 1965 and several times since), so stories of a bizarre nature continue to resurface about the man."