Bradford Washburn RIP - End of an Era

montanapup

hursday, January 11, 2007

Bradford Washburn, father of modern Museum of Science, dies at 96

By Andrew Ryan, Globe Correspondent

Bradford Washburn, the founder of the modern Boston Museum of Science who transformed a modest collection into renowned institution, died last night at the age of 96.

The cause was heart failure, said his wife, Barbara Washburn. He died in Brookhaven retirement home in Lexington.

"He was a very kind and loving person and just had a desire for doing good things and adventure," Barbara Washburn said. "And he loved to share that goodness and that spirit of adventure."

Mr. Washburn ran the Museum of Science for 41 years, moving the small collection from its original Berkeley Street building to its present site on the Charles River Basin, now known as Science Park.

Mr. Washburn retired at age 70, but "It didn't slow him down at all," Barbara Washburn said.

An avid mountaineer and cartographer, Mr. Washburn made eight first-recorded ascents of North American peaks and authored two-dozen maps, several of the Grand Canyon, Mount Everest, and Mount McKinley. As a photographer, he pioneered the high-resolution, large-format aerial picture.

Mr. Washburn hailed from a bygone era when social status, scientific investigation, mountaineering, and exploration all combined into a "true Victorian style and character," biographer Michael Sfraga has written in "Bradford Washburn, A Life of Exploration."

There will be no services. Mr. Washburn will be cremated.

"He didn't want any fuss," Barbara Washburn said.

Posted by the Boston Globe City & Region Desk at 09:22 AM

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got this in my In-Box. Here's to a pioneer who inspired many a mountaineer! :brew:

Dear Friends,

It is with great sadness that I pass along the word of Brad Washburn's passing. Barbara called me this morning with the news that Brad died last night, January 10th, 2007. He was truly a remarkable man who, for 96 years, displayed a boundless spirit and enthusiasm for the mountains and those who loved them as he did. I feel blessed to have known him.

I'm sure much more will be forthcoming celebrating his life. Per Barbara, there will be no services. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

my grandfather did the same thing re: not wanting a funeral - i think it's a bad call b/c its harder on the living - deprives them of a chance to move on - a lot of those old guys were really self-less though, so it makes sense he'd want it that way, and it's commendable

thanks for giving me the ammunition for denali dreams, hombre! :brew:

From Wikipedia... Selected First Ascents of Bradford Washburn. :cool:

1934: Mount Crillon, Fairweather Range, Saint Elias Range

1937: Mount Lucania, Saint Elias Range

1938: Mount Marcus Baker, Chugach Range

1938: Mount Sanford, Wrangell Mountains

1940: Mount Bertha, Fairweather Range, Saint Elias Range

1941: Mount Hayes, Alaska Range

1944: Mount Silverthrone, Alaska Range

1951: West Buttress Route on Mount McKinley, Alaska Range

Damn. Without question, this man's life and work has inspired me as much as anyone I can think of. The true adventurer, this guy represented all that is great about the comraderie and spirit of mountaineering, and the wonder of exploration and the sciences.

To Mr. Washburn, Thank You. My hats off to you, sir, for a life lived beautifully.

Edited by W

Wow. Cheers to one hell of a man. I was just combing over several of my Washburn books a few days ago and was thinking about what an astonishing and unique life he lived. There will never be another guy like him.

Tonight I'm raising my glass to the pioneer of Alaskan climbing.

Had no idea of his age but a man that sent me down this crazy path I chose.

What a fine life to have .

My dad chose no services when he passed, at first it bothered me ,but now I understand it.

Edited by Roy

Great man, some amazing climbs and fantastic photos.

Shame that so many of the pictures aren't available any more.

Ade, Roberta Post sent this up to me yesterday:

"I forgot to mention, the one message from the person who regretted being unable to get Brad Washburn's photos now should know that a good part of his collection if not all is at the University of Alaska, same place as Austin's. Rose Watabe is the keeper and is at rwatabe@gi.alaska.edu. Her mailing address at the Geophysical Institute is:

Rose Watabe, G.I. Geodata Center, University of Alaska-Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK 99775-7320. Can you pass that along to the appropriate address?"

JS

Washburn was one of the first mountaineers to subscribe to 'fast & light'

With respect to the Lucania trip this was very much borne of necessity rather than original intention, wasn't it?

Incredible story, nonetheless, involving a noble amount of boldness and suffering, and not a little bit of very good fortune. I cringe to think of all those nights sharing a bag with someone's feet in my face though.

Brad Washburn offers a fascinating vignette into understanding the Amelia Earhart saga. In his book, On High, Washburn writes about a conversation he had with Amelia and her publisher-husband, G.B. Putnam. Washburn implored Amelia to set up a radio beacon on Howland Island in the south Pacific. Quoting from the book, "I said, 'Amelia, you absolutely have got to have a radio on that island, or you're never going to hit it.' I'll never forget that moment. Putnam was sitting there, we were on the floor, and she turned her face up to him and said,'What do you think about this?'And he said: 'Well, if we wait to set up a radio transmitter, the book won't be ready for Christmas.'" The rest of course is history and the her disappearance remains a 20th Century enigma. The intrepid spirit of Earhart certainly was shared with Washburn. His death closes the living memory of that chapter of history.

Edited by Mike_Collins

Washburn was one of the first mountaineers to subscribe to 'fast & light'

Actually, the opposite. Brad took a lot of equipment with him often spending months on the glaciers surveying and photographing. What is amazing is that they schelped that gear all over the place including to the top of the peaks and managed to do things in good style. Most climbers today would be crushed by their style. I can not remember on which trip to Denali but they had just summited the South Peak and were camped at the Pass. It was a nice day so they decided to climb up to the North Peak - it was Brad's birthday.

Both Brad and Barbara are remarkable people. Some of the other couple's like Bob and Gail Bates, and Ad and Ann Carter, Charlie Houston and his wife have done some amazing traveling. Their stories are wonderful glimpes into an era that is no longer.