Utan in Feb?

thestidham

so I have a long weekend off from school from Feb 16th-20th and I was thinking of making a trip over to Utah to do some bouldering. I was thinking either little cottonwood or joes valley or one of the many other bouldering spots. what I was wondering was how is the weather in some of these places that time of year and if a trip would even be worth it. anyone has any suggestion or info I would really appriciate it. thanks.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

little cottonwood & joe’s valley will both be frigid in late Feb, little cottonwood could have as much as 50” of snow near the prime bouldering area. both have great ice if you’re into that. only bouldering/rock to be found that time of the year would be in the far southwest corner of the state in st george or in the virgin river gorge (technically AZ) and if your going that far south you might as well head to red rocks for more options.

Yep, the canyons will be in the height of ski season in February.

At least your highballs won't be so high and you'll have several feet of beautiful powder to cushion your falls when your frostbitten fingertips refuse to work anymore.

Salt Lake is about 4,000+ feet in eleveation, the bouldering areas can be upto 500 - 1000 ft higher. Kinda like going to boulder something in Snoqualmie pass in February.

All the ice climbers will be looking at you kinda funny, too.