Ice in the gorge?

cycling_mike

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've seen climbing Beacon all along I'd say it's plausible given it has been setting up pretty fast this year when it does get cold. I just don't know how thick it would be and because there is a lot of water I suspect they'd still be wet. Maybe someone doing the drive between HR and PDX can post up in the next day or two. I'll be out at Beacon Saturday, but that will be a little late for your purposes.

Tonight: Snow showers likely in the evening...then a chance of snow showers. Colder. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch. Lows 20 to 25. West wind 5 to 15 mph.

Thursday: Partly sunny. Colder. Highs 25 to 30. East wind 5 to 10 mph.

Thursday night: Mostly clear. Lows 15 to 20. East wind 15 to 25 mph cascade locks westward...and east wind 10 mph near hood river.

Friday: Mostly sunny. Highs around 30. East wind 15 to 20 mph cascade locks westward..and light wind near hood river..

Friday night: Mostly clear. Lows 20 to 25. East wind 10 to 20 mph cascade locks westward..and light wind near hood river..

Saturday: Partly sunny. Highs 30 to 35.

Saturday night: Partly cloudy. Lows 20 to 25.

After this, it gets reasonably warmer, again. I guess things could set up, but driving through the gorge last night made me think that the best chance would be to stick to the "weepy" climbs. Most of the stuff out there that are substantial flows are running at a very good rate...start looking for the nooks and crannies, and maybe something will be found. Obvious? Probably...

Now for another beer.

A good way to tell is leave a 5 gallon bucket outside and when it frozen solid, beat it over your head until you stop wanting to do this crazy shit

That old school bucket trick doesn't work. I tried it last year. The bucket of water was completely frozen. I grabbed the bucket handle to move it and the handled broke off. 40 lbs of ice smashed my foot. :o It didn't tell me anything about Gorge ice.

Yeah, just a little bit of ice and you expect someone to post if they see water ice in the Gorge? I'll post something when I get back on Sunday and then you can go after it! :grlaf:

My fiance is heading out there right now, so if it looks bad, then I will probably post that. However, she is not trained for tiny seeps like around Ainsworth so maybe you will have to go check it out for yourself?

Ryland come on! Share the wealth! You are probably right actually... I should know better than to beg for info on someones stash. Anyway, honestly, I would love to be up there scratching around looking for something to stick this weekend, but with the forecast looking not so great (cold), I think I may try to salvage some skiing instead. Whatever you do, don't post pics of the sickness you climbed cause I'm too fragile to see cool things I've missed out on.

I'm not an ice climber, but it looks like some was starting to setup around Ainsworth. Couldn't get a clear picture while driving through. Here's a shot of Crown Jewel, looking not yet climbable.

Edit: Shot taken at 2pm today.

IMG_3177.JPG

Edited by Camilo

Ah, beautiful! Just imagine, A partial ice age here on the west coast and the Gorge will go from a Wind Surf'n mecca to the Vail and Silverton style mecca...Multnomah Falls, not just a straw but a thick, solid pillar of fate. I heard that it mostly froze completely back in the '70s, maybe we're on the verge of that kind of year? It would be nice to have a ice playground here!

Peace

It was 79-80 that the Multnomah almost came into our dreams. The line 30 feet to the right became a low volume diversion channel and did come in. Jeff Thomas got 200 feet up it and called it"The Once and Future King"That winter had a 2 month long cold blast!

Well, hmmmm. Was looking hard on the way home from Beacon today and there appeared to be climbable ice here and there but you really had to look hard for a lot of it. Across from the Dalton Point boat ramp there is a large gulley and there looked to be a servicable line on the main face to the left of that gulley. There was another short one right off the road down east of Mist falls about a hundred yards or so. Up by Ainsworth up behind the farms on the leftish face of several there are three lines and the leftmost one look reasonably solid and thick (if narrow), but on driving past it, it appeared to end up in a recess cavern much like Mist falls so you'd have to dry tool up to it. There appeared to be one or two below the road on the WA side you could rap down to. In general, I think if you went real early and really scouted hard you might be able to find something; might be close to the road, might be a hike - maybe bring binoculars. On all the main falls, like the pic above, you'd need a mask and snorkel still. Good luck...

yesterday i mimicked the driving, weeping and "wow...if only that was in" game. anyway, we drove up SR14 to the BOG and back down the Oregon side of the gorge. nothing got us out of the car. lots of ice, but nothing thick enough for me to climb. if you had some imagination and a creative opinion of living, you might find something to play on.