Pilot Tony Reece in Helicopter Crash

Skeezix

Tony Reece crashed one of his MD500 helicopters on January 4th while flying cedar blocks. He walked away from the crash but was hospitalized a couple days with lumbar fractures. He was working a logging job in the Lyman area of the Skagit Valley, bringing a line to a guy in an open area when the engine quit at about 140' he estimated. Time enough to move the helo away from the worker underneath him, then a straight down crash. A King 5 TV report with video may be viewed here. Those who know Tony or have been assisted by his rescue work may pm me for an address to send get-well wishes. A Northwest Mountaineering Journal profile of Rescue Pilot Tony Reece may be viewed here.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I logged in Darrington in 1979 and often had a ride out with Reece. We were far enough out from the roads that he used to fly lines for us, and often come pick us up and fly us back to the road. One of the highlights of my life was being picked up at the back of a long unit on his approx 100 foot line, and having him fly me back to the road dangling on the hook. I assume we are talking about the same guy, if so I would love to send him a get well. If I have the right guy, can you PM me an address?

For anyone who was ever rescued, lost and then found, etc. in the North Cascades you probably owe Tony your life. Tony is an amazing pilot and I felt lucky to have worked with him during my tenure at N. Cascades NP. Tony knows the park like the back of his hand and would always go above and beyond. I'm glad he is ok.