An ebay like site for gear www.geartrade.com

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a new site at all. I sold a few items on there about 4.5 years ago.

I don't know how it works now, but back then the buyer sent payment to GearTrade and then GearTrade was supposed to send the seller a check. I had to hound GearTrade to send me a check (many emails and maybe even a phone call or two, I don't remember) before they finally sent me a check. It was a pain in the ass and I decided to never do business with them again.

I hope they have eliminated or improved their escrow system. It's great that they don't charge a commission, but they obviously don't get the same traffic as eBay or even craigslist probably, so in the end you probably get more money going through eBay.

edit: just checked. They still do the escrow thing. I don't like the idea of them holding onto money for an item I've already mailed. As a seller, I'll be staying away from geartrade.

I think the site is a dumping ground for second-rate gear manufacturers to unload excess inventory. I doubt the number of items listed will be "increasing rapidly" as you expect.

http://www.geartrade.com

Gearwhores.com link

Saw this ad on Steep and Cheap which caters to us gear whores.

Very few things are currently listed, although I expect that will change fast.

Do any of you have any experiences with it yet? I've put this on Supertopo and RC.com as well and no bites yet.

Regards:

Bill

Your the best bill. Ill try to make it on Sat.

• 2 weeks later...