Older Camalots / Reslinging Cams

AR_Guy

I have the opportunity to buy a rack of older (5 to 8 years old) camalots from a trusted source. Only been placed a few times (if ever), never fallen on. Sizes 3 down to 0.5 and 4, 3 and 2 in the 'micro cams' as he calls them.

How do these older camalots comapre to the current C4's and C3's? I want to understand the pro's (without a doubt, price) and con's of the older models vs. buying new.

Also - I searched the last year and couldn't find a topic on reslinging. Is there a local shop that re-slings gear with sewn webbing? I figure I'd want to replace the webbing on these cams if I buy them.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The older camalots work just as well as the new C4s - they're just a little bit heavier.

Comparing the old Micro-camalots to C3s isn't as straight-forward though, since the C3s are a new design - they have only 3 lobes vs 4, and supposedly more flexible stems. i haven't used C3s, and they might have some small advantages over the micro-camalots (like a narrower head), but the micros will work just fine too on a starter rack if you don't want to shell out $$$ for the C3s.

If they're 5-8 years old and in otherwise good shape, then inspect the whole thing, but the sling should be the only thing that you'd have to worry about. I don't know about local shops in seattle, but a common place to get cams reslung is through Yates Gear. It's about $5 per cam plus shipping, so factor that into your ROI for buying the used rack.

I bought my Camalots (1 & 2) and Camalot Jrs. (0.5 & 0.75) in 1994 and had them re-slung by Yates this summer. Barring major damage from a fall, I expect I'll be using them for another 10 years.

If the Camalots are in good shape and the price is right, I'd say you've found a great deal. Even if the trigger wires were frayed or bent, you can probably still get new ones from BD.

As mentioned, the only real con is that the old Camalots are heavier than the new ones.

... the only real con is that the old Camalots are heavier than the new ones.

The C4s have better handling, smoother action, and weigh 25% less. The older camalots are still a good cam though.

The C3s are really nice. Especially in the very small sizes (primarily aid use) they are probably the best thing on the market.

Again, the older style juniors are a good cam.

So, if you aren't ready to shell out the money for brand new cams and can get a good deal on the previous generation camalots, go for it. They are great cams, just not the best.

If the choice was between some used last generation camalots vs. brand new clog/trango/other weird brand cams, I'd take the camalots.

As for reslinging, I think "ON SIGHT" in Squamish does reslinging. If you do a search on this website you should be able to find some older threads discussing that.

As for reslinging, I think "ON SIGHT" in Squamish does reslinging. If you do a search on this website you should be able to find some older threads discussing that.
I contacted Onsight this summer and was told that they no longer reslings cams. Apparently, they had a bad experience with a particularly anal customer, and decided the marginal revenue wasn't worth the potential headaches.

I suspect I'll get shit for this, but I've sewn some of my own. I have an industrial machine and for reslinging my aid cams (and some hooks) this works fine. No, I don't bar tack them. No, I don't do the fancy little X pattern. I usually just run 5 to 7 stitches of several passes each and it's held my big butt.

I just wonder why a fella couldn't use just any sewing machine... can't say I've done it so you'd have to experiment on your own.

And let me stress, I AM talking about aid gear with the idea mostly of body weight placement (and may a single placement drop). Not sure if I'd place one of my homemade jobs on a run out lead.

KM - Intended use is leading. I wouldn't feel comfortable experimenting on life critical gear (although I admit I've thought about it and decided to pass).

MP - I considered re-slinging as the nylon is 8 years old with an unknown (to me) storage history. I also read on the instructions (I think that was the location) on the couple new C4's I have that clipping a 'biner directly to the loop drops the strength rating a couple of kN. With that background....

You make a good point on doubling a sling through the loop. So, I presume doubling a new 22kn rated, 9/16" spectra sling through the loop and clipping to this would be just as strong as (or stronger than) a 'proper' sewn on sling? I ask as the cable loops are awfully small diameter, much smaller than the surface of a 'biner, which would tend to weaken the sling with the tight bend radius, right? Is this effect significant, or am I just being paranoid?

While it may be true that c4 may lose some strength by clipping into the main loop, (why?) it may not transfer that the older double axle camalots act the same way. You are getting the double axle type right? If it is the single axle old style, then you have no choice except to resling it, as a biner won't fit inside.

Would be real interested to hear why it reduces the strength to clip into the loop directly instead of the sling.