Urban Climber: the empire grows

Peter_Puget

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Urban Climber has become unquestionably the most influential and important magazine for young climbers"

That is sad. I have only seen urban climber a few times, but it was by far the worst climbing magazine I ever read. The articles seemed like they were written for junior high term papers and focus on gym climbing and bouldering was incredibly boring. Hopefully the merger doesn't drag climbing down even further.

There's some interesting analysis on Alpinist.com

At the time of the most recent sale, Climbing's circulation stood at roughly 40,000 readers. Rock + Ice's circulation is approximately 30,000. (In the four years of its existence, Alpinist has achieved a paid circulation of approximately 13,000.)

It also notes that with being owned (pwned?) by Urban Climber, Climbing might not feel as much pressure to compete for the "youth market" now. Good point I think. They won't want Climbing to compete with UC so they'll probably focus more on longer attention spans, trad, alpine, that kind of thing.

Does this mean I'm going to have to start getting tatted up to fit in at the crags?

Climbing hasn't written even it's non-youth geared articles well for some time. Anyone read the article about the speed ascent on Native Son. I was all excited to read it but then made it about a paragraph into the article before getting so pissed I nearly burned the issue. They basically said that not only could near total noobs run up it but so could a bunch of half baked guys in EB's with a few nuts on their rack (ie. Bridwell and crew)??? I was like WTF, way to diminish some of the biggest climbing accomplishments in our lifetime.

If you want a good article go read this:

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/ALP18/jim-bridwell-birds-eye-view

What?! The new R&I is stellar. The large format roxx, and the design & layout put a serious spanking on Climbing's pasty buttocks. Great content, too, although Matt Samet is undeniably witty, and a key addition to Climbing. But the combo of Samet and Thesenga at the helm can tilt things a little heavily toward the sophomoric, Colorado-is-the-center-of-the-universe-and-everyone-loves-Rifle-anecdotes-all-the-time gig. And does every issue need to remind us of how Samet once had an eating disorder? He's like the Mark Twight of sport climbing with that shit.

Not to even mention Urban Climber, where the art director's guiding principle is apparently "if you can use PhotoShop, you are a designer." And don't let's get the Doctor started on the proofreading. UC needs a copy editor who can actually proofread his or her way out of a wet paper bag. Thst maggazinw iss loaded wirh typoa@!

ha. who even notices this stuff? let alone cares? who even reads those mags?

no one there cares about the articles they are providing you.

they are a vehicle for marketing to the masses. now all of ewe hold up your number.

say baa.

ha. who even notices this stuff? let alone cares? who even reads those mags?

no one there cares about the articles they are providing you.

they are a vehicle for marketing to the masses. now all of ewe hold up your number.

say baa.

Well, that was certainly insightful analysis. :rolleyes:

Probably writes for Rock and Ice... :rolleyes:

Yo, yo, yo, sup, crag-dawgs?

Don't be dissin' on the mags!

They're a great sourcebook for freaky haircuts, tats and hats, power-poses that attract the babes, vulgar turns of phrase, and who's HOT RIGHT NOW on the bouldering circuit.

I've gots copies right here in my hoo-ride...

Later suckas! I'm outta here to send a little sickness at Honemaster's Rock-Star Gym where I'm KING SHIZZLE!

"...off to da gym

..to crimp for some trim"

(if ya knows what I means)

wigger.jpg

Kool Master Krank Dawg

There's some interesting analysis on Alpinist.com

At the time of the most recent sale, Climbing's circulation stood at roughly 40,000 readers. Rock + Ice's circulation is approximately 30,000. (In the four years of its existence, Alpinist has achieved a paid circulation of approximately 13,000.)

It also notes that with being owned (pwned?) by Urban Climber, Climbing might not feel as much pressure to compete for the "youth market" now. Good point I think. They won't want Climbing to compete with UC so they'll probably focus more on longer attention spans, trad, alpine, that kind of thing.

I with Drew on this one - Climbing did that AWESOME trad issue a while back - maybe they'll do more like that - and alpinist light for rock would be awesome

Most Hated Things in Each Mag:

Alpinist : how they seem to always have a subtle superiority complex - yeah they do great rock climbing stuff but somehow they make sure you know they'd respect you more if you were FAing on a snowy peak - bleh

R&I - Jason Kehl HEADZ - what the f_ck are those things and what do they have to do with climbing - Hey cool - you took a pics of another young and punkish climber and photoshopped them - way to be artistic

Climbing - Letting us know they're a GREEN MAG all the damn time - great: you saved some trees and bongo hitting climbers in MOAB will like it - Now what about the OTHER subscribers who keep your mag and like quality print (since going to high % post consumer whatever the image quality has gone WAY DOWN regardless of what they claim - R&I and Alpinist are coffee table art books in comparison

Edited by matt_m

Yo, yo, yo, sup, crag-dawgs?

Don't be dissin' on the mags!

They're a great sourcebook for freaky haircuts, tats and hats, power-poses that attract the babes, vulgar turns of phrase, and who's HOT RIGHT NOW on the bouldering circuit.

I've gots copies right here in my hoo-ride...

Later suckas! I'm outta here to send a little sickness at Honemaster's Rock-Star Gym where I'm KING SHIZZLE!

"...off to da gym

..to crimp for some trim"

(if ya knows what I means)

wigger.jpg

Kool Master Krank Dawg

that's some pretty funny shit, man.