Golden Ears park

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I climbed the white dyke a number of years ago...nice route, pretty clean and solid...4th at the most but primarily 3rd class...did not rope up...but we did bring one with us having not done the route before and had no feedback from others...i seem to recall the lack of protection possiblities and we were feeling good about moving fast and safe w/o the rope out...we came off edge by easily downclimbing from the chockstone below the summit and traversing on the west side of the connecting 'ridge' towards golden ears...there was one tricky spot but otherwise easy...

• 1 month later...

Okay so we went up to climb the white dyke today and had a superb day in the hills. It was our first time to the area, outside of a winter foray a few years back. Route was straight forward with minor difficulties. As previously suggested the dyke goes at 3rd class with a couple of 4th class steps low down. Nice holds on solid rock, rope wasn't necessary. From the shoulder of Edge we bailed on the summit, the climbing didn't look that aesthetic and timing was an issue. We rapped a gully just down and left from the shoulder when facing east (thanks dR) and continued through to Golden Ears and Panorama Ridge. Car to car 11 hours. Beautiful day, couldn't ask for more. [big Grin]

(If a rope wasn't necessary what did you rappel on?)

Are you bored Dru, or is that a legitimate qeustion?

What we rapped on was a ROPE, which we brought because the almighty dru said "Jesse bring a Rope!"

We rapped because we dragged this thing all the way up there and figured we better go ahead and use it, we could have easily downclimbed around the gulley or downclimbed the gulley itself, not a big deal. I read your posts on blanshard on bivouac, you dont need a rope for the normal route on that either as well the gate opens at 7am and not 8 as you mention.

Have you climbed the white dyke before?

See ya around

jesse

quote:

Originally posted by jesse mason:

(If a rope wasn't necessary what did you rappel on?)

Are you bored Dru, or is that a legitimate qeustion?

What we rapped on was a ROPE, which we brought because the almighty dru said "Jesse bring a Rope!"

We rapped because we dragged this thing all the way up there and figured we better go ahead and use it, we could have easily downclimbed around the gulley or downclimbed the gulley itself, not a big deal. I read your posts on blanshard on bivouac, you dont need a rope for the normal route on that either as well the gate opens at 7am and not 8 as you mention.

Have you climbed the white dyke before?

See ya around

jesse

I hate to tell you this, but they change the time the gate opens with the season.

Hee hee I made you take that useless rope all the way up there [big Grin] SUCKA!! [Razz][Razz]