Canadian Rockies suggestions?

Lambone

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only time I've used chicken wire up there was at the Bugaboos, and there was plenty to choose from in the bushes at the parking area. No promises though...

The posture on that photo looks like it's shot at the correct angle, the feet are pretty level. I hadn't thought the ice on Alberta (N Face?) was that steep though.

Inserted on Bivouac.com by somone else and not me-

Story: After Robson, Will Gadd knocked off another Rockies Classic - the Japanese Route on Mount Alberta. Will reports, "Conditions good enough, we climbed the left wall of the gully to avoid rockfall and ice, which works OK. Even the North Face looked to be in good shape. 13 and a half hours hut to hut....No real summit register, just film cans that were wet inside but made for good reading...."

Access: Mount Alberta is north of the Columbia Icefields. Park at the pullout 12.3 km north of the Icefield Centre, ford the Sunwapta River, go up the Wooley Creek drainage and the Wooley Shoulder, and then descend to the Mount Alberta Hut.

Technical Data: Canon S-40 digital

Date: 2002.08.27 Vantage Point: From the Japanese Route (N 52°17' W 117°28' ) Photographer: Will Gadd Inserted By: David Wasserman

• 2 weeks later...

canada rules!

The suggestions were great, thanks. unfortunately it turned out that we only had 7 days up there, but it was awsome anyway.

The first day we cragged at Lake Louise...pretty nice. Then we attempted Athabaska and the President. We turned back on both climbs due to harsh conditions on the summit ridges, cold and windy enough to take the fun out of it. All the fun of those climbs was had down on the Glaciers, pretty cool. Oh and the Stanley-Mitchell hut was plush!

The CR's are awsome, we can't wait to go back, I'm die'in for a winter trip.

We stopped through Glacier NP on the way home, kind of a let down after Alberta, but still got in some cool day hikes. I wanted to see a Griz, but we had to settle for some friendly/curious/hungry goats.

All in all, a great trip...no epics or rescues! Worth the drive just to see the Icefields Pkwy and make future climbing plans. The tick list grows...