Canadian Rockies suggestions?

Lambone

I have to put a plug in for the south ridge of Victoria. Great ridge route with some exposed snow/ice and scrambling. Possibly the best part is staying at the Abbott pass hut and watching all of the flash bulbs going off down at the Chateau Lake Louise. In September the Larch will be golden making the hike in from Lake O'Hara quite scenic (that is when I did it a few years ago). Reservations on the shuttle bus into O'Hara are a MAJOR pain unless you have a hut reservation through the ACC (they have some spots reserved every day for people staying in their huts). Have a great trip, I'm envious . . . .

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of good suggestions (Louis, Edith Cavell, etc..)

I am surprised noone has yet mentioned Brewer buttress on Castle Mtn. It has some of the better rock in the area.

As for hikes, I have liked Castleguard meadows (have to walk up the Saskatchewan glacier) and a trip up to Yoho is a must and can possibly be combined with a visit to Burgess Shale (guided once a week I believe)

A great natural history guide written by a climber is Ben Gadd's Handbook of the Canadian Rockies

Get Bow Valley Rock in addition to Selected Alpine cause BVR has all the alpine rock near Canmore like Yamnuska, Ha Ling aka Chinamans, EEOR (East End Of Rundle) etc in it which is good if you lookimg for 10-15 pitch 5.6-5.12's. Also outside the park is less spendy.

Yah, what Dru said. Have an array of options that fit all the possible conditions, could be too warm for ice, too cold & snowy for alpine rock, or too nasty for anything but cragging & hiking. There's a good hike from about halfway up the icefields parkway, the approach to Forbes. Goes in to a huge natural lake (glacier lake maybe?) then back to where a couple icefields (the mons and another larger one, memory fails) spawn a large river. Lots of icefall off the icefield to the right, which dies out at the top of a bunch of cliffs. Should be fairly lonesome up there too, some nice sandbars along the nasty cold river to bask upon...

I've made a number of trips to the Canadian Rockies tho never as late as September. At any rate you said low stress so I'd suggest that Skyladder on Andromeda or the North Face of Mt. Stanley are outstanding routes without being very hard. The 5.8 route on the Tower of Babel right by Moraine Lake is a pretty cool 1/2-day rock climb that isnt as loose as it appears.

Lambone, here's a couple of my favourites that I have taken my wife on and she enjoyed herself. First is a Rockies classic of Mt. Victoria and Mt. Lefroy. Both are accessed from the Abbott hut which has all the necessities to keep the pack light. Tones of Canadian Moutaineering history at the hut. Just avoid the weekends as the hut gets busy.

The second trip I would recomend is the Presidents in Yoho park (Fifteen minutes from Lk. Louise)which also has an great hut to stay at; the Stanley Mitchell. Both the President & Vice Pres. can be easily done in a day from the hut and are more of a glacier walk with incredible scenery. Either a easy warm up climb of and end of trip round up.

Have a good trip.

Ced. [Cool]

• 4 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:

On Cavelle's E. Ridge, routefinding is no problem at all. Follow the ridge (really, it is just that simple).

actually it's OK going up but if you descend the route it's not obvious as there are spur ridges on either side that can take you out onto steep faces.

3 people have died here also

http://alpineclub-edm.org/accidents/accident.asp?id=622

""The downclimb off the back includes some somwhat scary traverssing on a loose rockslope above the big void but it (the scary part) is short and I'm afraid you will not find very many Canadian Rockies peaks that don't have at least some of that kind of thing.""

and one death on the descent

http://alpineclub-edm.org/accidents/accident.asp?id=172

• 2 weeks later...

This time of year weather is already turning into winterlike there up high.

ON your way over you might as well climb Mount Sir Donald, Uto or Tupper just before Golden at Roger's Pass (Selkirk's South by David P Jones)

Considering the weather it might be smart to get the Bow Valley Rock book for when you are not too committed to head out in the bad weather you can crag.

Near Lake Louise Mt Victoria is pretty easy.

Ha Ling Peak (NE Face)

Eisenhower Tower (Right side)

Get the Dougherty book it's got a bit.

Some other things too - MT Louis, MT Birdwood, Andromeda Skyladder....

Mt Rundle is an easy one ... It's endless once you drive in there and see for yourself.

[ 08-25-2002, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

Johnstone Canyon up to the paint pots as a nice dayhike. I've only been there in October, so I have no idea what summer crowds are like. Or try that approach in to North Twin, as far as the col where everything opens out, its a bit brutual, but what a place. Also, on Andromeda, consider the North Face as compared to Skyladder (you can make the decision once you get close). Its a little longer, a little steeper, and tends to have more ice. Think about mountain bikes for bad weather entertainment too, lots of good riding up there.

Its true what Caveman says, winter sometimes arrives around now and the snow just accumulates instead of melting off between storms, the maples all turn colors where the cold air sluices down off the peaks, and the tourists largely stop getting out of their cars. A nice season unless you have your heart set on getting up something in particular.

[ 08-25-2002, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Off White ]

The weather should be fine in early sept so don't let that hold you back. Some of my faves have already been noted but I will cast my vote for them again cause they're good and you and your gal should like it.

edith cavel e ridge

athabasca silverhorn

(stay off of a skyladder due to rockfall on route and a canadian complex descent)

sw ridge of pinnacle peak (tough up the scree field but fun to ski down)

grand sentinel (this year there was a resident griz up in the valley so you have to go up in groups so may be hard to get a early start. But you can it rocks)

mt fay north face ice (is she into it? good time with a hut)

yamnuska - south facing good warm climbing. Nice approach too. Leave plenty of time for descent.

Be wary of routes in selected alpine guide. (sandbags) Bow valley rock is accurate but still canadian so expect long days for all trips. Take rest days. Have fun.

gene p

Jasper:

If you're looking to kill some time or just day trip, head up to Miette Hot Springs (Jasper). You can do the Sulphur Skyline trail and then hit the pool for some R&R. Check out http://www.worldweb.com/parkscanada-jasper/recreation/day_hikers.pdf for more dayhike ideas. Valley of the 5 Lakes is beautiful (and flat) as are the Bald Hill and Opal Hills hikes (moderdate elev gains) I seem to remember Sulphur Skyline being a bit of a grunt. If you're feeling lazy take the tram to the top of Whistler's Mtn. If all that hiking makes you thirsty head to the AthaB (Athabasca Hotel) which is also a dirt cheap place to stay, especially if you're willing to take a room above the bar. Pete's is another good place to down some brews and play some pool. If you're driving the Jasper/Banff parkway make sure you gas up, the station at Saskatchewan X-ing knows they're the only gas for 120km. Even if you don't plan to do any climbing from the parkway, drive it, the views are unreal. Be careful though, either you will drive off the road looking at all the great places to climb or come away with a long tick list!

Banff:

Drink - Wild Bill's or The Rose and Crown. Both often have live bands.

Food - Bumper's Grill. Order the beef ribs and wear loose fitting pants.

Sleep - If you're on a budget, stay at the Lake Louise Hostel. Its more like a lodge than a hostel. If you want to break the bank, check in to the Banff Springs, or at least go see it.

If you need to rent any gear, Mountain Magic has a pretty good (but well used) selection.

Have fun, if the weather is half decent, September is a great time to visit the Rockies. Very few tourists and fall colours.

If you pass through Revelstoke, no visit is complete unless you have a burger at "The Frontier" restaurant, right off the highway.

Over and out,

Jimmy

I was in up their in July and did Temple, Lefroy, and Athbasca. Lefroy is a nice climb with 50 degree snow and ice, also you get to stay stay in the abbot pass hut. From their you can do Victoria, too. The columbia ice field is a sweet area as well.

• 2 weeks later...