Camp Muir daytrip/overnighter?

knappster99

I've been thinking of doing a snowshoe trip up to Camp Muir this Sunday/Monday (1/7-8/07), but not sure if it's even worth it or even possible with the current weather and road. I'm also fairly new to winter travel, I have snowshoed before but not on a mountain like this (I used to live in North Idaho). Is it recommended? Should I wait for more favorable weather/snowpack conditions? I've done some reasearch and have hiked to Panorama Point this summer, I just want to get some opinions on whether this is something feasible at this time.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

In decent conditions with good visibility the climb up to Muir is pretty straightforward. As things stand right now I believe the road up to the parking lot is shut down.

Under these conditions I think you could do it as an overnight trip with a lot of road walking. I'd wait till the road is open and do it as a day trip. You might want to pick another destination for your trip. There are some good snowshoe or ski routes out of the Baker ski area lot.

I was anticipating the extra 19 miles and planning on an overnighter or two, but I wasn't sure if the road is open to foot traffic just yet. I haven't been up to Baker before so I'm not sure if I have enough time to get maps, research places to stay, etc, for a trip tomorrow, maybe another weekend. What are the normal high camps on Baker? I was trying to stay away from any glacier travel because, honestly, I've never stepped foot on one.

...but I wasn't sure if the road is open to foot traffic just yet.

From Mike's Blog:

People have been hiking, biking and skiing into the park over the past few weeks. Last weekend, one ranger counted over one hundred souls trudging up the Nisqually road towards Paradise. Many inspected the flood damage near Sunshine Point and Kautz Creek; a few hiked up the Westside Road; some even made it to Longmire! As far as I can tell, no one made the summit.

Oops... missed that one, sorry. I have the whole trip planned out so I might head up there and stay either at Muir or at the Jackson Visitor Center parking lot, the place is probably a ghost town and not plowed. I was more worried about avalanches and snow conditions, I have heard that there have been avalanches on and around Panorama Point. Should I postpone the trip because of snow conditions? I might answer my own question here, but this is a quip from a report dated 1/6/07 at 215 pm: "Avalanche danger should become extreme by mid morning or mid day Sunday with some possible large and potentially destructive slides increasingly likely. Travel in avalanche terrain should be avoided Sunday. Decreasing winds and snowfall at cooling temperatures and likely widespread previous natural avalanches should combine to low the danger late Sunday and Sunday night." I imagine that this kinda ruins any plans of making it up to Muir until Monday...

I'm just not going to go :cry:. For someone with as little experience as me, I'm definitely heeding any warnings you guys give, especially with a forecast like that. Thank you very much for all the info and tips, you've probably saved me a lot of trouble and unnecessary harm. I was afraid I may catch some flame after reading through most of this forum... ;) I might just wait for better conditions or when all the climbers start heading up this spring, I've always wanted to get into climbing anyway.

Has anyone been up the trail from Longmire to Paradise? I was wondering if the footbridge is out at Cougar Campground?

If the bridge is pasable, it's a reasonable 6 mile snowshoe/ski one way to Paradise, and with a super early start from Longmire (bike there), it might be possible to do a day trip from the Gate to Muir and back, if the snow conditions above Paradise are reasonable. However...the start and end of the trip would prolly be in the dark.