bad beta re: mt tatlow

back in november, there was a thread about "peak xxx" in the coast mountains. the peak is mt tatlow. i suggested that:

the mtn has sacred significance to the local indian population, and politeness indicates u shld give the band office a call before you head off to climb it:

chief roger william

250-394-7023

rogerwilliam65@yahoo.com

this is incorrect. the mtn has sacred significance such that the local indian band consider it more than impolite to POINT AT the mountain, and they ask that NO CLIMBING take place on tatlow and its immediate neighbours. this policy was adopted by BC parks when this area became a provincial park; the parks management plan (for ts'ylos) expressly states no climbing on tatlow.

i had a long series on conversations over the winter with parks personnel, and with chief roger william, and (odd as it may seem to us) no one is being flexible.

fact is, there is no enforcement, and i know of recent ascents, but u want to consider the context before you set off. and you probably don't want to advertise your intentions...

apologies for for the initially misleading info.

it IS a beautiful peak...

http://www.mtnphil.com/CoastRange2/CoastRange2.html

cheers, don

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

and when you are driving up to Whitesaddle Air, it is considered very bad form to get out of your truck at the Tatlow viewpoint and point both middle fingers at the mountain and state "Take That Roger William!"