Stormbound sailor epic speculation thread

Clavote

The media has just switched to the epic of the moment. Media Alert.

A sailor, who is going around South America, got caught in a storm. His masts, engine, navigation control are out.

His sat phone is running out of batteries. But he does have the Chilean navy, USCG and a fishing vessel going to his positon to aid/save him. He's alive and healthy. He's in contact with authorities periodically in an effort to conserve batteries.

He did deploy and EPIRB...for your MLU fans and haters. They do work, because they know exactly where he is from the sat positioning. Peronally, I like those expensive PLBs that you can rent in Alaska.

He is an experienced sailor, but he did get caught in a storm an we do not know what he knew about the weather or his route.

The sailing web sites are probably getting vultures and ghouls right about now.

Molly, you'r a sailor. Every do something ballsy like that and sail in a storm?

I say we should require rescue insurance for all sailors on all waters. How about that grenade. Sailors! they should pay!

Time to do some winter climbing while the public is distracted.

And hopefully the weather will settle, they find this guy and he praises the SAR people for risking their lives in going to save him in the middle of a storm.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chances are if he was going around S.America (otherwise known as the very infamous Cape Horn), then he didn't have a choice about sailing in bad weather or not. The weather patterns created by the southern ocean in this area are the most intense anywhere in the world. Sailors who venture here need to be very confident in their skills (heave-to, running bare poles/storm rigging, sea anchors, etc.) in order to be prepared, because unlike most other places bad (even horrendous) weather is commonplace.

When you undertake a trip of this sort there aren't any options, you just deal best as you can with what gets thrown at you. I had my first offshore sailing voyage this past summer (to go to Squamish from Portland actually, to climb!), and it is a whole other world. Good luck to him, if he is able to stay with his ship until help arrives or the weather settles then he should be in okay shape.

I THINK, if I WERE a sailor, I MIGHT be inclined to be worried about THE POSSIBILITY that this man MIGHT be getting into trouble and MAYBE as a fellow sailor I COULD have a pretty good opinion of what POTENTIALLY is going to happen or the proper response from my FICTIONALLY close sailing family.

Why don't the rescuers just swimming out there are rescue him? But I also have concerns about who is paying for this. In the future, if I am going to pay for these types of rescue, all sailors should be required to carry a laser equipped dolphin, with a +3 cloak of floatability.

i trust this man's expertise

sailing through bad storms just comes with the territory offshore. "His masts, engine, navigation control are out." Unless he's holed, he doesnt need any of these to survive if he's far enough from any lee shore, though the motor out makes it real tough to get the boat to port if the mast is gone and there is nothing left to jury rig.

He's obviously just a reckless thrill seeker, and he should have to pay.

How could anyone be stupid as to go out in the ocean during the northern hemisphere's winter?

It's just wrong to put his family through this, and to endanger the lives of the rescuers.

Any others I forgot?

He's obviously just a reckless thrill seeker, and he should have to pay.

How could anyone be stupid as to go out in the ocean during the northern hemisphere's winter?

It's just wrong to put his family through this, and to endanger the lives of the rescuers.

Any others I forgot?

Why are we talking about this? There is nothing to be learned from a tradegy. Just let is rest. LOL