Hello! New to this forum!

dreimer

Hey all!

I'm new to the forum, and thought I'd say Hi! I've been in the PNW for a good 12 years, but have never really hiked or trek'd here. I'd like to do some Mt. climbing, and thought I'd read up online, and in print as much as possible before taking a leap.

Lived in Colorado for 20 years, and have been skiing at 12,400+ many, many times, and have had to do what some would consider "climbing" to get to where we wanted to ski down, so I'm no stranger to altitude, or the effects of not being ready for it.

My main goals are to summit Rainier, maybe Denali, and then think about the Himalaya's. Maybe a low on first Cho Oyu???

I know....ambitious, but I think it's possible.

Anyway, hello, and remember to be nice to new people!

~Dan

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all!

I'm new to the forum, and thought I'd say Hi! I've been in the PNW for a good 12 years, but have never really hiked or trek'd here. I'd like to do some Mt. climbing, and thought I'd read up online, and in print as much as possible before taking a leap.

Lived in Colorado for 20 years, and have been skiing at 12,400+ many, many times, and have had to do what some would consider "climbing" to get to where we wanted to ski down, so I'm no stranger to altitude, or the effects of not being ready for it.

My main goals are to summit Rainier, maybe Denali, and then think about the Himalaya's. Maybe a low on first Cho Oyu???

I know....ambitious, but I think it's possible.

Anyway, hello, and remember to be nice to new people!

~Dan

Heeelllloooo Dan!

I knew a guy named Dan once.

A date introduced me to him and said Dan was interested in climbing. I was into cragging in the Bitterroots at the time and asked if he was interested in that. He said no. He was interested in mountaineering.

About ten years later I went to a slide show on K2 at a friend's house and it was Dan putting on the show. He and a friend had done it prety much alpine style and spent a night in a snow cave way the hell up there.

The next time I heard anything about him, he was on the radio talking about how he found a guy dying at 28,000 ft on Everest and helped him get down.

Go Dan.

Dreimer, those are some big goals. What got you started? Whats first?

First is some classes...With Mt. Rainier close, I thought it best to summit that a few (more than 3) times before even THINKING about anything bigger...

Any suggestions on how to get the equipment started, or what classes you think are best, etc...would be great.

Hey Dreimer...if you can find a competent partner...given the scope of your goals I'd go for the Success Cleaver of Rainier. It is a great route with some air...but no glacier travel except for the summit field. One more is that you can be away from the crowds of the standard routes...if you ever get on that route...you'll see the other options right away! But first, get that Self-arrest and crevasse rescue dialed!

Peace

Well...I may or may not catch flack for pushing a commercial company but my wife and I are both grads of National Outdoor Leadership School. aka: NOLS

None of our courses were in the mountaineering field but we enjoyed their philosophy and passion for what they believe in. If you have the time/money (tuition assistance is available for some), you may want to check them out. Ed Viesturs got his start with them

http://www.nols.edu/courses/find/byskill/mtneeringskill.shtml

Steve

Dreimer,

There are many good options for classes around here. But they all cost money and you still need your own gear. There are many posts/threads on this board about what gear is needed for Rainier and what books to read (Freedom of the Hills). I can usually be persuaded to go up Rainier and have done so several times. As long as everyone understands that they are as responsible for safety as me, as far as they are capable, then I am happy to go. I am not a hot climber, just a fun seeker.

By taking responsibility, I mean read Freedom of the Hills. Practice the skills. Prussick up a rope in a tree. Set up a z-pulley system in your yard. Be ready to really help in a rescue and be ready to learn a few extras on the way up. Get your own gear, harness, prussicks, ice ax, crampons, helmet, boots, etc.

Much of it can be bought for very cheap in the YardSale Forum here and on Craigslist. If you are not sure about something, ask on this board. Or PM me. If I don't know the answer I will be honest about it. Hey, come to think of it, I have some gear for sale! But get some idea of what you want for yourself first. Some people on this board will encourage you to "Go for it" and just get out there. Not everyone survives this method. I am proposing a careful self reliant study coupled with some easy climbing with an experienced climber.

Cheers!

Bug

Finding a compatible and competent partner would be ideal, but thats not always easy. Probably not the recommendation of everyone here, but a "class"/climb with a guide wouldn't be a bad thing. IMG obtained part of the Rainier concession for 07, and they are a good group. Good luck.

Dreimer, those are some big goals. What got you started? Whats first?

First is some classes...With Mt. Rainier close, I thought it best to summit that a few (more than 3) times before even THINKING about anything bigger...

Any suggestions on how to get the equipment started, or what classes you think are best, etc...would be great.