Mellow winter climbs?

MarcusCollins

Howdy,

I've got a friend in town from the east coast who wants to do some "climbing" this weekend. I think he means anything from good snow hikes to stuff like Chair. Probably I would have more ideas if I hadn't just returned to the PNW from the East myself not long ago.

Avalanche conditions notwithstanding (they do look marginal right now), any recommendations?

Marcus Collins

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea Im not sure you are going to find many safe objectives this weekend. I guess it all depends on if the predicted friday snowfall happens. If it does you will have lots of new snow on top of wind deposits which equals not so good. If the friday-saturday snowfall does not pan out then go up to snoqualmie.

Howdy,

I've got a friend in town from the east coast who wants to do some "climbing" this weekend. I think he means anything from good snow hikes to stuff like Chair. Probably I would have more ideas if I hadn't just returned to the PNW from the East myself not long ago.

Avalanche conditions notwithstanding (they do look marginal right now), any recommendations?

Marcus Collins

Portland or Seattle area?

Mt. Persis is kind of cool for a hiking destination and would offer little avalanche danger.

This is what came to mind for me too.

If you have 4x4 you can get to the trailhead on the West side pretty easily. The road is good it just may be buried in snow right now when you get up higher.

When you are on the summit you get a great view of Mt Index west face.

Whitechuck can be a good winter climb, with enough exposure on the Standard Route to be exciting but not really technical; also, it is all south facing so it tends to be relatively safe much of the time. The approach road, via Dan Creek out of Darrington, is popular as a snowplay access so although it is not plowed you may be able to get fairly far in there.

Last time I heard there are raving lunatics out in the area of Mt. Pilchuck...people get killed around that place...

Two people have died, a mother and daughter. Lastest news on that story is the hubby has to take a lie detector test. On the otherhand just becuase poeple died there doesn't mean its not safe. Plus its not like I dont pack heat in the backcountry anyway. :)

Edited by OrganDonor