BD Ascension STS Question

Winter

I just got a new pair of STS skins - haven't gotten a new pair of skins in few years.

What gives with the non-sticky black strip down the middle? Someone told me it peels off - when am I supposed to peel it off? How do you reglue these things if it doesn't peel off? Any insights? The instructions were totally silent about it. Thanks.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't peel off. I'm not sure how you would re-glue them, but I have had a pair of those for several years now (I think they're the same ones, but were a test pair) and they are just starting to show signs of glue weakness in one spot, and I treated them like garbage. I have almost set them on fire on multiple occasions drying them. In other words I am willing to replace them rather than go through the hassle of a re-glue.

Having just reglued my skins (but not having BD skins myself), I was under the impression that the glueless strip down the skin was meant to make peeling skins off easier (as mentioned above), but ALSO the BLACKDIAMONDBLACKDIAMOND... strip is a backing that you can peel off if your skin isn't sticking and you're in the field. the BD website has a video showing how to reglue your skins that actually shows this strip being peeled back before regluing.

I was out last weekend on a new pair of BD GlideLite STS skins that have the same centre strip. I didn't experience any performance issues associated with leaving the strip on although I was slightly disappointed that my buddy could skin slightly steeper gradients with his narrower/much older skins before breaking traction. Could have been the extra 35-40 lbs I'm packing on my frame, then again I prefer to blame it on the skins.

341688067_3ee02378dc_b.jpg