straighten ewe out

underworld

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting stuff. Doubt it will have a large implication for human behavior though, since human relationships are so complex. I wouldn't get too worked up about "ethics" until people start experimenting on humans. We have been manipulating animals by selective breeding for millenia, so this isn't some new-fangled ethical crisis of the century.

Yeah, and I think "disease" has got to be one of the most overused and misused terms in recent history. So many minority behaviors are labeled as a disease these days. What is the definition of a disease, anyway?

On another line of thought, why aren't outspoken homosexuals praising a possible new method for choosing what they want to be? If biology dictates their sexual orientation, like it clearly (usually :D) does their gender, why speak out to prevent a new choice from being developed? Transgenders surely grasp the importance of these findings.

Interesting stuff. Doubt it will have a large implication for human behavior though, since human relationships are so complex. I wouldn't get too worked up about "ethics" until people start experimenting on humans. We have been manipulating animals by selective breeding for millenia, so this isn't some new-fangled ethical crisis of the century.

so you know for sure that humans have not been experimented with. i wan't to beleive this.

Yeah, and I think "disease" has got to be one of the most overused and misused terms in recent history. So many minority behaviors are labeled as a disease these days. What is the definition of a disease, anyway?

On another line of thought, why aren't outspoken homosexuals praising a possible new method for choosing what they want to be? If biology dictates their sexual orientation, like it clearly (usually :D) does their gender, why speak out to prevent a new choice from being developed? Transgenders surely grasp the importance of these findings.

that's an interesting question. I didn't think of that.

Maybe because the parent is the one who would be making the choice, not the individual? That's like the choice about what gender to give birth to--something is just a little off about it.

parents already have this choice.... if they find out it's going to be the 'wrong' sex... ABORT!

easy-button.jpg

AE - so are you saying that holding the position that the influencing of the sexual orientation of a fetus is wrong while at the same time holding that it would be OK to kill that fetus is a sign of intellectual enlightenment?

Edited by ericb

AE - so are you saying that holding the position that the influencing of the sexual orientation of a fetus is wrong while at the same time holding that it would be OK to kill that fetus is a sign of intellectual enlightenment?

No.

But I am saying that folks who feel that abortion is ok while capital punishment is not are ok. I am saying that people who thing abortion is heinous while capital punishment is acceptable are okay. IOW, my statement had nothing to do with my personal beliefs beyond the one that says accepting two apparently conflicting ideals is normal and doesn't need to be defended constantly.