[TR] Mt Hood - Reid HW 12/31/2006

Alex_Mineev

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks fellas! Alex brought his new SLR digital camera and it worked great! We had two cameras, his big Pentax (for landscapes) and my compact cheap Canon (for actions).

Reid was in a better shape than we expected - after all this snowfall and high avi danger. The entrance couloir was a potentially dangerous spot, especially at crevasse crossing:

IMGP3907.JPG

Higher up, conditions greatly improved. We encouneterd some thin sections of alpine ice and shallow snow:

Reid_enterance.jpg

The best part is a final 500 ft of Reid - lots of ice climbing.

Reid_finalpitch.jpg

We simulclimbed most of the way, although roping up wasn't necessary. We had not a single encounter of falling ice or avalanches. Except for the top of the Reid, the wind was zero. We topped out via the left variation of the West Crater rim - lots of loose snow. The rim ice at the summit ridge is all rotten and porous inside. Probably, the Yocum would be the same. Overall, it was one of the best Hood climbs in terms of conditions.

Thanks Oleg, that is basically a TR :)

Next time if we go this route again, I would bring the rope but wait with roping up till the real need. I expected more amounts of less stable snow and shittier ice but it was quite the opposite.

I regret we did not make more shots of the action, but we were sort of in a hurry for two reasons: Pete was waiting in the car and I had to be in Seattle before midnight (which I barely managed to do).