[TR] Hood - Old Chute 1/1/2007

ClimbingPanther

Trip: Hood - Old Chute

Date: 12/31/2006

Trip Report:

Short and sweet, since that also sums up the "technical" climbing...

Weather & avy forecasts golden, so we set out at 4 am from T-line w/ 4 people, but one turned back halfway b/c crampon problems. Had my very first field encounter of a fellow cascadeclimber, OlegV. He was a very pleasant fellow, and they were doing Reid HW (TR? I'm waiting!). Snow conditions were cake the whole way up and back! No postholing, except down real low if you strayed from the groomed stuff. Heard of the ice cliff reports on the Pearly Gates, so we did the Old Chute instead since one member was less experienced in that aspect. We saw a guy ahead of us who did the Pearly Gates w/ one tool and one axe (!), solo (!!), and w/o a helmet (!!!). Whatever. :noway:

Old Chute is the easy way up right now. You can see the tracks leading left from the Hogsback in the picture below, and you just go up directly to the summit ridge and traverse right towards the summit on the ridge.

All I can say is Winter conditions are the most beautiful.

Illumination Rock in a wind tunnel?

DSCN4606.JPG

Coming down the route

DSCN4629.JPG

Sweet-ice formations

DSCN4631.JPG

Hogsback area, showing one of two guys we passed on our way down

DSCN4637.JPG

Mediocre pics of the gates. Yeah, that's the soloist.

DSCN4600.JPG

DSCN4609.JPG

Gear Notes:

'pons & axe

Approach Notes:

boring and dark :tired:

Edited by ClimbingPanther

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pics, glad you guys had a great time, wishing we had gone all the way up New Year's eve instead of camping at 9,600'. Guess we talked in passing you about the solo dude. We woke about 1am Jan 1 to big winds, headed down into heavy freezing rain which lit off an avi or two in the White River canyon. Pure white-out from 9,500' to 8,500'. Left the gps at home, now requesting name change to "Shit for Brains". Where's a hot tub when you need it?

Hey! Nice TR and pix! It was very nice meeting you, likewise! Forgive my oxygen-deprived brain, I got mixed up with the names. Were you Mike or Brian? A party of four? We did go all the way up the reid. Sweet conditions! The TR is coming. Alex got some nice pictures to show!

Yep, I drove over it myself. Should have taken pictures though, the "creek bed" looks like an unpaved graded highway since they removed tons of earth to get the elevation well below the bridge elevation.

There was a similar but much smaller and less vertical step there last year around the same time, so I'm not sure if this is just an exaggerated form of normal or if it's way off the hook. Gotta talk to a real veteran about that one.

Hey, quick question:

I wanna do this route this year (for a change and because the Ice in "the gates" looks a little formidable for an easy run) but did you guys climb to hogsback, and then traverse over to the WCR or did you come up from the west of crater rock across the "hot rocks"?

I am asking, because I thought that there where quite an avalance danger on the west side of crater rock.

Sorry if it sounds stupid, but I am somewhat a Hood noob (I have only climbed the SS route and Leutholds)

I'm sure you know avalanche danger is not determined by one factor, like the location of the slope. It's more about the snow layers than any specific area. There was one guy who came up on the climbers left of Crater Rock, but that's not how we went. Everywhere I stepped seemed reasonably stable, so I assume the left of CR was OK too, but you just have to evaluate that when you get there. I'm not sure if it's even steep enough since I've never been there. However, the WCR has definitely claimed lives due to avy so definitely watch your step after checking the avy forecast. You can actually see our footprints in the fourth picture if you look real close.

Hahaha... Sorry, I thought that you where making fun of my noob question about WCR...

It's then that I realized that you posted the same thing in the reid HW post...

It's just funny how the software will title the next response in the thread with "re:______"..

I thought you where replying to my post. oh well...

Oh I see Clim. Panther.... I can barely make out your footsteps climbers left of the chute and the Gates. This variation seems pretty simple, almost simpler than the "gates"... I was mainly worried about fumes, lack of O2 etc. on the hot rocks on the west side of Crater rock... I guess it's not a biggie? No worse than Devils Kitchen?

Not to be picky but if you angled up to the left from the hogsback like the tracks in the picture that would be the the Old Chute route (the West Crater Rim goes left of Crater Rock down low and joins up to finish up the Old Chute. Not that it matters, good on you for getting out while I was sipping gin & tonics!