re: sharpening your own ice screws

northvanclimber

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran into the video tech tip the other day and got a whetstone and ignition file to do exactly as they said. I had a couple 'throw away' screws that I practiced on first.

All I can say is that it is nice in practice. the angles make it pretty impossible, partcilalry if one of the teeth are bent and one has to straighten them out. Better - no burrs.

I wonder if a regular chain saw sharpening person could / would be able to do it?

Having posted on this subject before, it really should be machime done. You can find small shops that sharped tools and they should have them. A guy around the blook ( small town) does lawn mower blades, knifes and saw blades. The angle on saw blades is simaliur to screws. He did mine and they work great.

Carversprint - I do my own ice-screws with chainsaw file, get good results. Just as with sharpening any tool (chainsaw, mower, handsaw, knife) maintaining the correct angle is critical, and takes practice. Also the face on most screw teeth is curved, so the size of the file must match the radius of the curve on the tooth. Practice does, in fact, make perfect, and if you become proficient at doing your own, you can not only tune up damaged screws, you can also correct mistakes (if you or a buddy messes up when resharpening). I have even succeeded with improving the performance of some screws that didn't work all that well out of the box. If this was your first attempt, I'd say give it a few more tries.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had no luck with sharpening by file. tried the dremel method and it actually is very easy and works great. The metal doesn't get hot at all with the reinforced sanding disc. First try was a little ugly, but with a few touch ups it's sharp & biting well. It was helpful to have a sharp screw for reference.

the sharp shop sounds like a good deal though. thanks Paul!

• 2 weeks later...