Cheam Range Conditions

Ced

We went out to climb Foley on Saturday, conditions sucked rain and new snow. The road (Williams Lk.)was clear almost to the parking lot about 1000m where it was blocked by a land slide that you cannot by-pass.

We switched to Lady Pk. in hopes the weather would improve. The road up Chipmunk Cr. hits the snow line at about 1200m where we hit the new snow line. There was about 6" to 8" of new snow up there. There is still tons of snow in this area, the medows at spoon lake still have 6 to 8 feet of snow left!!!

We climbed up to the ridge and started along until a big black cloud came through with hurricain force winds. Sad to say we got weathered off. [Mad]

Ced.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd probably been and gone already, but we parked and walked from the landslide Saturday. It's literally 7-10 minutes easy strolling to the clearing. I don't even recall a switchback from that point.

Anyway, I can assure you that you made the right choice in changing objectives. We couldn't see enough to find the trail, let alone a climbing route. [Confused]

After bailing early, we drove up East Harrison to look at the Old Settler. Not climbable yet, but the road is completely free of snow all the way. If you don't mind pushing a little bush at the end you could get right to the trailhead. (or bring a hatchet; wouldn't take long to prune it back a bit.)

quote:

Originally posted by Travis:

You'd probably been and gone already, but we parked and walked from the landslide Saturday. It's literally 7-10 minutes easy strolling to the clearing. I don't even recall a switchback from that point.

Anyway, I can assure you that you made the right choice in changing objectives. We couldn't see enough to find the trail, let alone a climbing route.
[Confused]

After bailing early, we drove up East Harrison to look at the Old Settler. Not climbable yet, but the road is completely free of snow all the way. If you don't mind pushing a little bush at the end you could get right to the trailhead. (or bring a hatchet; wouldn't take long to prune it back a bit.)

You could drive up the upper road spur? Right tothe end of the road? Cool. I always wanted to do the West Couloir.

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

You could drive up the upper road spur? Right tothe end of the road? Cool. I always wanted to do the West Couloir.

We didn't go that far, just to the approach for the Daiphy lake side. My friend wasn't willing to scratch up his new'ish 4Runner on the trees encountered after you fork left on the last stretch of logging road.

Anyway, if the road is normally free of bush I'd be willing to bet that it's free of snow now. It was pretty dry where we were and melting fast.

Okay, I'm confused. I've got the 1992 Chilliwack H4 topo map, but I don't see a few things that you guys are talking about.

Is the previous reference to Williams Lake actually for Williamson Lake?

Also, someone mentioned a road to Williamson Lake but I see only a small road (and not very long) directly east of Foley Lake heading up and east to about 1000m. Is this the road and is this the best access for Foley? or is Wahleach Lake the better way - is there a trail this way or just bush?

Also again, where is Spoon Lake? Is Chipmunk Creek road the best approach for Lady and is the best fork the one on the east side of the creek or the one on the west (both at about 870m, 2 bridges side by side)? As for Knight, is it a reasonable day hike from Airplane Creek Road?

Lots of questions, but lots of peaks.

Alan:

www.bivouac.com for all your Cheam Range needs.

Specifically:

http://www.bivouac.com/RtePg.asp?rq=Pg&RteId=234

for info on the trail.

Spoon "lake" is the cute little pond that forms behind a Teletubbyesque roll of meadow at the end of the Chipmunk Creek FSR. Not on map.

Chipmunk FSR is easy to follow as it is well loved by hikers and sled heads alike; the spurs to take are the only logical ones. It has, though, been getting quite rough in recent years so that it is probably only advisble to try it with high clearance 4x4 or short wheelbase Sidetip type stuff. I once ripped out the floor in my old man's Honda on that road while skipping class to go hike up Lady [Eek!] Lady and Cheam can both be done from here as mere sneezes.

Knight is a great one day ski trip but probably pretty bland as a hike. Why not try Baby Munday?

Approaches from Wahleach/Jones are all bushed up pretty good, though you could get in there in the spring to do sumpin nasty on one of the N faces.

I'm sure Dru will add to this

[Razz]