All Honesty Here...Large and in charge....Hood?

mountainxclimb

Okay...so I put on a few pounds since successfully climbing hood in 2000 after my fall accident....What's your opinion on climbing to the hogsback, nothing more, around mid to late April? Nice and slow, no rope...solo...only heading out with a nice clear night to gain climbing strength again. What's your opinion?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a 20 foot vertical fall onto my back. No, it wasn't on the Hogsback, but it happened about two weeks after climbing Hood and Adams. I'm getting out and hiking every weekend now and will continue this up until April so hoping to be in better shape by then.

P.S. No liquid courage for me these days.

Edited by mountainxclimb

if you're in decent physical shape (i.e. you can walk up 5000 feet w/o your heart exploding) then this is the ideal time of year for the south side

that route is soloed several thousand times a year - for added security you can take a second tool

And for Gods sake, please dress in Orange and carry an MLU. Make sure you get your private rescue insurance as well. One more gouge to the taxpayers in Oregon, they may have to institute a sales tax on climbing equipment to pay for the volunteers!

Agreed that April is a good call. Keep in mind that the Pearly Gates is an ice cliff right now. Don't know how much the ice-cliff action will change over the winter, but be sure to check out reports just before you climb. Learn a bit about the options for variation from Crater Rock to the summit to give yourself the best chance at success.

Pay for volunteers? Huh?

The single best thing you could do to increase your margin of safety is to find someone with some experience to go with you.

Is this a new year's resolution? Good luck and congrats on your continuing recovery!

Snow conditions there change, like 12/31/06 was sweet stepping but next day crusty slab, bare ice, freezing rain, and white-out above 8,500' Don't forget your gps or wand your route if there is a chance the weather could turn. Winter on Hood can be the best ever or the worst possible.