The Potholes

samdude19

Has anyone climbed at The Potholes area south of Moses Lake? Although the routes look short, it looks like a decent place for me to practice trad climbing which I am just getting into. According to Rock Climbing Washington it appears to have quite a few climbs rated 5.7 and under that I could practice placing gear and making anchors on while not having to struggle too much with the climbing aspects. I cant find any info on the area over the internet though, is it closed to climbing now or what? Any info would be much appreciated.

I recently moved to Bellingham but am going to school in Pullman during fall through spring. Any other suggestions for easier climbing with minimal crowds in Eastern WA? Thanks.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My boyfriend and I went out there once to try to find that place, couldn't. Instead we caught frogs and swabbed a couple bass some guys caught and I tested them for chytrid fungus, those potholes have so much chytrid! The state finally recognized the problem last spring and contributed to it more by putting in a bunch of poison to eradicated the bullfrogs (carrier of chytrid) and consequentially all the other frogs, a little more complicated than that but I sure wouldn't eat the bass or any bullfrogs from there!!!

There is definetely climbing at the Potholes. Check out Rick La Belle's (sp?)new guide to central washington rock. Very cool. Multiple desert venues are covered, as well as Banks Lake rock. Kind of a fun book to discover when you live in the middle of Washington. I know I am psyched to climb many of the routes in this book. Cheers!

Jens

Um... Jens. What about Bland's book to Banks Lake? Much more entertaining and informative and far less gay. Don't you even remember how Bland used to pick you up and haul your broke college ass all around Spokane and its cliffs (Let's try to forget the time I dropped you off at Francis and made you take the bus home. I was in a hurry, OK?) Bland feels very sad that you didn't even advertise his brilliant expose' on Banks Lake. Oh well, no good deed goes unpunished.

Blowboarder bought the Bland book. It was very bland. Not to mention a total pile of crap. Blowboarder no like. Although Blowboarder laugh at picture of Johnny G with pipecleaner arms. Hahaha. Blowboarder smile now. Blowboarder joking. Good book. Funny anectotes. Lots of routes. Lots of choss. Choss good.

That kind of fun. Blowboarder like 3rd person soliloquy.

Bland. Call Blowboarder. Blowboarder broke phone and decided good time to tell Verizon to get fucked. Blowboarder smiling at that memory. Eight Hundred. Nine Seven One. Nine Nine One Five.

Snow and wind good combo make Blowboarder smile.

Blowboarder tell all who might say "Take it to a pm" to get fucked. With sharp stick. No lube. Enjoy.

Marty-

I do thank you for hauling my broke (nothing's changed, although I do have a car) ass around eastern Washington's finest crags. I mean that shit! I suggested La Belle's book because the original poster sounds like a beginner. Also, your book doesn't cover the potholes does it? Anyway, I can honestly say the Marty's book is the one to buy if you want to climb quality routes instead of crumbling basalt. Plus the book is a fun read and much clearer and more helpful than CWR. How's that for a plug! Hey Marty, I am going to be in China Bend this next weekend, fri, sat, and sun. I am psyched. You should come if you can. One more shout out: Buy Marty's book!!!!

Anyone know where I can get a copy of Marty Bland's book? I found "Rock Climbs of Central Washington" on Mgear.com and am planning on ordering once I look into my finances and buy some food. Thanks for all the help, and does anyone know for sure if areas of the Potholes have been closed to climbing? One post said that it may be the case, anyway, thanks.

Jens, I was just jokin' with ya. You know I really don't have any feelings to hurt anyhow. Ray and Johnny will probably go to China Bend. Crash at my house if you need.

P.S. Donny Baker would only use my book for toilet paper, Swear to god he would.

I put up some routes out there years and years ago with Bill Robins. I could probably tell you how to get there (which any guidebook could), but I doubt I'd be able to find any of the routes we did.

You could try sending a PM to Paul Certa on this site. Or find him at Frenchman Coulee Climbers Coalition on yahoo groups. He was Bill's bestest friend. He might have the righteous beta.

Here's his bio, but he hasn't posted here since 2004. Don't know if his email addy is still current. Looking for him on yahoo groups at FCCC is your best bet.

Rumor has it that the Potholes has been closed for quite some time now. Don' know why.

I'ts wierd cause ol' Donny hasn't been around for a bit. Probably touring the US with A Whitesnake cover band or somthing. Maybe he and Joe Dirt are on a pilgrimage to find their lost family. Hope he doesn't come back. Guys like him give Spokane a bad image.

HEy marty who is this shellface given you games ? Me and stevie winkler are SONS OF SILENCE MAN. Hey you the same jens holsten, dad named ralph that didn't nominate Donny Baker for all-stars. What goes around comes around Man, got a feelin there's gonna be some tire tracks on your lawn in about two weeks. Besides I swear to God I found the best website ever. WWW.SNOWMOBILEWORLD.COM

Blowboarder man I see you when I'm Snowmobiling I'll fire paint balls right at your face man.