[TR] Banks Lake - Shitting razorblades 12/30/2006

eric8

Trip: Banks Lake - Shitting razorblades fa

Date: 12/30/2006

Trip Report:

Jens, Alex and I yo-yoed the 3rd tier last weekend. We got schooled. Then Thursday photos of my unclimbed project appeared on cc.com. Which was unsettling. I returned to the route today, to climb it with my friend, John Millar, who is visiting from California. The original plan was to climb the direct mixed chimney but it wasn’t looking any better than it was a week ago and I would need a bolt near the crux, bigger balls or more ice on it to lead it. We walked around it.

So John lead the second tier a free hanging grade 4 pillar to a belay at the base of the crux, one fix blade from the first attempt. I got the next pitch 30m of vertical and overhanging ice, with a few good rests but very technical and crap screws, a hard 5/5+. Could fill out more and drop down in difficulty. Belayed on a ledge off pins(one fixed). John lead a final grade 4 pitch around roofs that are present at the top of the climb, very cool. You could link the 2nd and 3rd pitches if you want.

The name comes from the alkane trio lyrics “shaking like a dog shitting razorblades”. We listened to the trio the whole ride there and back with the exception of the mandatory tool cd. And John got a bad case of elvis legs on both of his pitches.

I forgot to recharge my camera battery between attempts so here are photos from the first attempt.

The route

line2.jpg

me on the first attempt

me.jpg

Jens near our high point

nearing_high_point.jpg

The second tier, it was touching down this time

second_tier.jpg

There is a cool looking mixed line to the left of our route which may good on natural gear, may not.

Gear Notes:

screws

kb and la for belays

Approach Notes:

south of steps to a fifty foot pillar. Park right in front of the no tressapping sign

Edited by eric8

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...