Saddam Stretched

Dechristo

thats cool, the only thing is that we 'made' him. thats all. so we are responsible for some of what he did to his people. it's just too easy to now call him the butcher and close the case. check that griz link .

fuck, this is depressing!!!!! about them broncos !!

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it seems to me that whether or not people "cheered" his death is irrevelant to the fact that his death was a vile spectacle of vengeance. Whether or not people cheered doesn't in the least justify his death, nor the manner in which it was executed.

it would also be reasonable to conclude that the majority of sunnis would be at least somewhat unhappy with his demise, whereas a majority of shiites would feel the opposite, with some of them even inclined to "cheer" (the "cheering" seemed limited in scope, mainly found in sadr city, from what my sources on the ground tell me :crosseye:).

Most likely.

Although I am not settled on the issue of capital punishment, I do think about how I would feel if I were the one directly affected. For example, while I was reading "The Rape of Kuwait" years ago, I couldn't help but think that these people had the right to feel vengance toward Saddam. What would be the option? Let him languish in jail after the horrors he and his sons put others through? Maybe this is acceptable, maybe not. Maybe it is acceptable to inflict the ultimate punishment on someone who commits such horrors over and over again to person after person. Maybe not. But I can't help but think that if the person I loved most in the world were tortured to death by someone like Saddam, I would most likely seek vengence. Maybe I am simply unevolved. Maybe I am the product of my environment. Maybe I am only human. A barbaric one at that. And although it is easy to sound idealistic in the relative safety of my home; I know from personal experience that when I am threatened, I respond with full force. I know that when someone I love is harmed, I go to whatever lengths I can to be sure that the one who harmed them is punished accordingly. Call me petty, I can live with that. I cannot live with the feeling that I simply said, "You're a bad boy" to someone who systematically harmed people for years--I can't even do that to someone who only harmed me or my family.

Letting murderers live equals evolution? Wow, no wonder people push for Creationism.

That's a nice witty smart ass remark. But who would Jesus kill?

If we punish violence with violence, then we doom ourselves to living in a culture of violence. There are many other options.

And how did they control the area? Through violence. All these other options that everyone who is soooo smart talks about--where are they in use? Where are all the smart people living happily without any violence (including the threat of violence) in their culture? If that works so well, why aren't we all doing it? And how would we get rid of all those nasty violent people in our non-violent utopia? What are the options for dealing with them?

As for dooming ourselves to living in a culture of violence---I don't know where you live, but here on Earth, that's pretty much how it is. I'd like it to be different, but it ain't. And I wish I knew how to fix it, but as Jack Handy says, "you can wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first".

As for dooming ourselves to living in a culture of violence---I don't know where you live, but here on Earth, that's pretty much how it is. I'd like it to be different, but it ain't. And I wish I knew how to fix it, but as Jack Handy says, "you can wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first".

They're wishing with their eyes, and nose, closed.

Interesting... I never knew there was an Everett in Iraq. Learn something new everyday.

I've been quite amused by the "cheering crowds" broadcast all over the news. Interesting that they're all in the US (like Everett) and only a few key areas of Iraq.

The trail and judgement of Saddam, had it been carried out correctly, could have unified a country. Instead by doing things like rushing the execution despite a holiday, allowing camera phones in the chamber that broadcast taunts Saddam's execution has been turned into a revenge killing and thus propelled him into martyrdom.

Cheer all you want - but realize the screw up will cause hundreds if not thousands of deaths. Today a local boy became number 3,000. He was 22. God bless America.

Most likely.

Although I am not settled on the issue of capital punishment, I do think about how I would feel if I were the one directly affected. For example, while I was reading "The Rape of Kuwait" years ago, I couldn't help but think that these people had the right to feel vengance toward Saddam. What would be the option? Let him languish in jail after the horrors he and his sons put others through? Maybe this is acceptable, maybe not. Maybe it is acceptable to inflict the ultimate punishment on someone who commits such horrors over and over again to person after person. Maybe not. But I can't help but think that if the person I loved most in the world were tortured to death by someone like Saddam, I would most likely seek vengence. Maybe I am simply unevolved. Maybe I am the product of my environment. Maybe I am only human. A barbaric one at that. And although it is easy to sound idealistic in the relative safety of my home; I know from personal experience that when I am threatened, I respond with full force. I know that when someone I love is harmed, I go to whatever lengths I can to be sure that the one who harmed them is punished accordingly. Call me petty, I can live with that. I cannot live with the feeling that I simply said, "You're a bad boy" to someone who systematically harmed people for years--I can't even do that to someone who only harmed me or my family.

Interesting.

The way I look at it is this: Saddam was a murdering dog, and he got what he deserved. The "spectacle" in the video is indeed disgusting and barbaric. The crowd is bloodthirsty, and doesn't look much different than the executioners in the beheading videos. I would have like to have seen something more formal and dispassionate - like the Nuremburg hangings. However, in the big scheme of things, who gives a flying fuck? The guy was scum, let him die a horrible death. I save my sympathy for people who deserve it - like the millions of innocent people murdered, starved to death, or otherwise enslaved and victimized by vile dictators, or children who are raped and murdered, or people killed by drunk drivers, or children who get terrible terminal illnesses, or... etc etc.