Close the Rivers!

Roger

I can't believe this arrogant guide wasn't even wearing a pfd. As a taxpayer I'm outraged about the SAR costs. Clearly, all rivers should be closed to rafters and fishermen in the winter. Seahawks, twocents, jonmf76, Phil Jones, Molly, here's a new place for you to post idiotic comments about a fresh tragedy: http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=137324

Thanks, it's been great. :wave:

[font:Arial]Oregonlive, Dec. 29, 2006

Searchers recovered the body of retired fishing guide Jim Erickson this morning along the bank of the North Fork of the Nehalem River.

Erickson, 72, of Wheeler, and Scott Gray, 44, of Watertown, N.Y., were fishing for steelhead on the North Fork on Thursday when their raft hit a snag and capsized.

Both men floated several hundred yards downriver. Neither was wearing a life jacket, according to the Clatsop County Sheriff's Office.

In an e-mail this morning to The Oregonian's Bill Monroe, Gray recounted the Thursday accident:

"Hi Bill, ... I was actually with Jim, I am Scott Gray.

"I was the last one to see Jim; we struggled and struggled diligently to get out from under water, as we were trapped by the raft. I feel terrible I was unable to help him, but it was such a struggle.

"The last time I saw him, we were both out from under the raft but having endured a battle, Jim was not fighting, and I was still fighting being taken underwater several times.

"I was trying to get to shore through the rapids, as well as shedding clothes underwater. I only knew Jim a short period, but it felt like I knew him forever. I am sorry for the family and the fishing communities loss.

"I am also a county legislator from New York State and Jim and I were having quite the political conversation. That 2 hours of my life will never leave me."

Searchers, including dive teams, hunted for Erickson for several hours on Thursday, aided by a U.S. Coast Guard helicopter flying from Astoria.

Clatsop County Sheriff Tom Bergin said two construction workers spotted Erickson's body about 8 a.m. this morning on the riverbank along Oregon 53, about 3 1/2 miles downriver from where the accident occurred.

Erickson was one of the best-known fishermen in Oregon. He had fished the North Fork for 40 years. [/font]

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Better outlaw snomobiles too- Ghouls go to the snomobile forums and speculate. Wow he even had a beacon.

North Dakota snowmobiler killed

COOKE CITY, Mont. (AP) - A North Dakota man has died in an avalanche triggered by a companion during a weekend snowmobile trip, authorities say.

Jeffrey Michel, 34, of Jamestown, N.D., was buried under about 7 feet of snow for about 18 minutes Saturday on Scotch Bonnet Mountain, several miles north of Cooke City, Park County Undersheriff Gary Tanascu said.

Michel was with a group of North Dakota snowmobilers who were "high-marking," a term that refers to driving their machines high on a slope. Michel's snowmobile got stuck and as he tried to free it, another snowmobiler high-marked above him and set off an avalanche, Tanascu said.

Companions freed Michel from the snow but were unable to revive him, the undersheriff said.

"The victim did have a beacon on, which was great although, unfortunately, it didn't help," Tanascu said. "They got him out within 18 minutes, which was very good."

Tanascu said Michel was buried so deep that it would have been difficult to survive. "So even though they did everything they could - his partners and others on the scene -it wasn't good enough," the undersheriff said.

"They were all high-marking, trying to get to the top of the peak," Tanascu said. "High-marking is dangerous, and there's always a chance that you're going to set off an avalanche when you're doing that."

Michel received the North Dakota Farm Bureau Young Farmer and Rancher Achievement Award last month.

I can't believe this arrogant guide wasn't even wearing a pfd. As a taxpayer I'm outraged about the SAR costs. Clearly, all rivers should be closed to rafters and fishermen in the winter. Seahawks, twocents, jonmf76, Phil Jones, Molly, here's a new place for you to post idiotic comments about a fresh tragedy: http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=137324

Searchers recovered the body of retired fishing guide Jim Erickson this morning along the bank of the North Fork of the Nehalem River.

Erickson, 72, of Wheeler, and Scott Gray, 44, of Watertown, N.Y., were fishing for steelhead on the North Fork on Thursday when their raft hit a snag and capsized.

Both men floated several hundred yards downriver. Neither was wearing a life jacket, according to the Clatsop County Sheriff's Office.

In an e-mail this morning to The Oregonian's Bill Monroe, Gray recounted the Thursday accident:

"I was the last one to see Jim; we struggled and struggled diligently to get out from under water, as we were trapped by the raft. I feel terrible I was unable to help him, but it was such a struggle.

"The last time I saw him, we were both out from under the raft but having endured a battle, Jim was not fighting, and I was still fighting being taken underwater several times.

"I was trying to get to shore through the rapids, as well as shedding clothes underwater. I only knew Jim a short period, but it felt like I knew him forever. I am sorry for the family and the fishing communities loss.

"I am also a county legislator from New York State and Jim and I were having quite the political conversation. That 2 hours of my life will never leave me."

Searchers, including dive teams, hunted for Erickson for several hours on Thursday, aided by a U.S. Coast Guard helicopter flying from Astoria.

Clatsop County Sheriff Tom Bergin said two construction workers spotted Erickson's body about 8 a.m. this morning on the riverbank along Oregon 53, about 3 1/2 miles downriver from where the accident occurred.

Erickson was one of the best-known fishermen in Oregon. He had fished the North Fork for 40 years. [/font]

Certainly there should be a sliding scale for rescue costs. This dude already had seven decades under his belt, so his ration of lifesaving efforts should be less than those paid for a person in their twenties or thirties. Plus, he already got four decades of fishing in (a goal I have for myself as well); AND he "died doing something he loved" (fishing, not drowning). All these things should be factored in when deciding and discussing costs. I believe we have an actuarial on this board who could help us out here. Let's get this grass-roots effort to save money started right here, kids!!!

Certainly there should be a sliding scale for rescue costs. This dude already had seven decades under his belt, so his ration of lifesaving efforts should be less than those paid for a person in their twenties or thirties. Plus, he already got four decades of fishing in (a goal I have for myself as well); AND he "died doing something he loved" (fishing, not drowning). All these things should be factored in when deciding and discussing costs. I believe we have an actuarial on this board who could help us out here. Let's get this grass-roots effort to save money started right here, kids!!!

Steelhead fishing now there a way to go, just like that movie river runs through it, going down the river with a fish on. Stinking cold in winter but might be fun.

I can personally say I've had a few close calls standing on the bank or with the waiters. Waiters are what makes it scary, they fill up and make it hard. Otherwise it just makes for a really cold walk back to the truck.

Yet to pull anyone out myself but my dad pulled a few out floating on past him.

and p.s. you can take my name off up above becuase I never once said Mtn, hiking should be banned or anything required.

Steelhead fishing now there a way to go, just like that movie river runs through it, going down the river with a fish on. Stinking cold in winter but might be fun.

I can personally say I've had a few close calls standing on the bank or with the waiters. Waiters are what makes it scary, they fill up and make it hard. Otherwise it just makes for a really cold walk back to the truck.

and p.s. you can take my name off up above becuase I never once said Mtn, hiking should be banned or anything required.

River Runs Through It is not about fishing, especially not about steelies in particular. But great entertainment.

And like you, I have had some scary waiters. But my waders are the only thing that have threatened my life.

and no worries about your name living on...;)

Waiters are what makes it scary, they fill up and make it hard. Otherwise it just makes for a really cold walk back to the truck.

Yeah, those WAITERS are really deadly, especially in Thai restaurants!

If you wear WADERS for flyfishing around here in Montana you don't usually get much water in them unless you are being a dumbass.