What's with Oly and Jonmf76?

Thinker

2 avatars for the same person? In love? Or maybe just two birds of a feather... I haven't seen anything this cute here since Snugtop's first post.

from this thread:

OK, all the recent deaths in the climbing world, combined with my own personal experiences got me to thinking about how far we are all willing to go for a route.

Having seen corpses on mountains and in the wilderness and coming close to becoming one myself a number of times has changed my entire view of my climbing and my pursuits as a climber. Is it worth it coming that close to death? I don't think so anymore. I like living. I like life.

"They died doing what they loved"

This, to me, is a weak excuse for taking too much risk. And yes, there is such a thing as too much risk. When you don't come back from a trip, you've crossed that line.

So how many of you have actually seen corpses on mountains or rivers, etc. and how has it changed your approach, if at all? And are you secure enough to admit it?

Why is it considered cool to die doing what you love?

In the old days, it wasn't considered cool to die climbing. We did every route in as precise control as we could, with the ultimate goal of getting back down. I remember Climbing Magazine had a miniscule Obituary page 20 yrs. ago. In the late 80's and early 90's it seemed to bloom into a long list, mostly of guys found dead at the bottom of a cliff from free soloing falls. So why has falling to your death become glamorous?

And please, drop the juvenile personal attacks. They serve no purpose.

GUYS!!!!

STOP IT WITH THE SPRAY ALREADY! :mad:

This an important topic. Dying is in vogue these days? It is the new hip fashion? Back in the day, when I used hemp rope (and not for smoking it like you wippershappers taking all the unnecessary risks!) and Goretex did not exist, we frowned upon dying. I don't understand how it is cool now either. It really boggles the mind.

and from this thread:

Over the years of slide shows and talks I have given, it has occured to me that the most important course has never been taught. And that is specifically about when to retreat from a climb.

Retreating has been made into an embarrassment, when it is actually sound judgement and climbing wisdom in action.

"Oh, you didn't summit? Too bad your climb was a failure.."

OK, talk amongst yourselves..

This is an excellent topic. I want you all to know that I think it is OK if you have to turn around before you summit. Please, live to climb another day! And if you do, then you have me to thank. Because otherwise you probably would have continued on and died. Think about it.

Feel free to buy me a beer for this loving advice.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That sort of stupidity cannot be feigned.

Never underestimate what I am capable of feigning... Mr. Layton made this mistake, not that you can fault the victim :grin:

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=21&Number=619953&Searchpage=1&Main=47064&Words=onion&topic=0&Search=true#Post619953

I will fess to not seeing you pay much heed to any of the Hood sprayers, and this guy just got some special lovin from you, so I wondered. Forgive and forget?