Frostnip?

dbconlin

Well, here is the update on my digits: feeling has mostly returned, but I have noticed some sensitivity to cold. No peeling or discoloration at all.

Andrew- I noticed my numbness right away, i.e. the same day and next day. Was there a delay before you noticed anything?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave,

Let’s put it this way, I fumbled for a couple of miles getting the top off a beer while driving home from the climb....Seriously though I did notice loss of sensation right away. I blame those crappy gloves I used on the approach. My fingers did the old freeze/painful thaw cycle a couple of times on the way in. The gloves I put on for the technical section were warm and dry. So I don't think they were the culprit.

This has happened to me a couple times in the past. I can't recall it on just a day trip though. I'm sure all sensation will return. I try to be careful (hence, two pairs of gloves + hand warmers) because I think some additional sensitivity to the cold does remain even after feeling returns.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you guys have pain in your fingers after they thawed out some? I stupidly dunked my right forefinger in icewater for 5 minutes over the weekend because I had sprained it, and it ended up numb. The numbness went away after one night, but the pain has remained. That was 3 days ago. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience. I understand that your frostnip/frostbite came about in different ways than mine, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'd be really pissed off/bummed out if this pain stuck around for good. Pissed off at myself, which is the worst kind of pissed off there is, haha. I'd also definitely appreciate any correspondence on the topic. My e-mail is sechoice@hotmail.com. Thanks a lot.

I wrote a few of you directly, but wanted to post a general follow-up as well. My name is Steve Choice, and I stupidly gave myself something akin to this problem over the weekend. I sprained my right index finger, so I dunked it in icewater for 5 minutes. It went somewhat numb and got painful. The numbness went away after one night, but the pain has remained, off and on. I was wondering if anyone has had pain that lingers after frostnip/cold exposure? If so, how long did it last? Any feedback would be very welcome. Also, you could e-mail me back if you'd like. It's sechoice@hotmail.com. Thnaks a lot.