Frostnip?

dbconlin

While climbing yesterday, my fingers became very very cold. When I got to the end of the pitch, I took off my gloves and put my hands in my armpits to warm them. My partner had some opened handwarmer packets, which he offered and I accepted. Holding one in each hand, it quickly became obvious they were too hot. I gave them back and continued warming my hands in my armpits. Seemed to go well. In about five minutes, feeling had fully returned and I felt good to go. I had no more problems the rest of the day. But when I got in my car to drive, I noticed that one of my fingertips did not have full feeling.

So, is this frostnip? frostbite? Are there any concerns about future performance of my digit in cold conditions? Will full feeling return?

Any personal experiences or medical know-how would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About seven or eight of my fingertips were frostnipped after a real cold day out on Longs Pk (it was -5F at trailhead, and there was 50 mph wind with faster gusts). They remained numb for about three weeks. A layer of skin peeled off from the affected areas after that. It all became normal after that though - at least I did not feel any increased sensitivity to cold.

Take care Dave.

Frostbite usually goes black.

Sounds like another case of the "screaming barfies", when you don't know if you should scream or throw up, usually a case of your core temp too low (blood drawn back to the core and away from the hands), leashes too tight, failing to keep dropping your hands and shaking out regularly. Blood does not go against gravity too well so don't forget to drop your hands and wiggle your fingers. I don't get cold hands anymore and I use very thin gloves when climbing but I pay attention to my core temp, my food and water.

I have had nip to the ears ice climbing in Quebec and that did not go black but I could not let them get cold for months, it was like needles everytime I went out, they got over it, this winter they are fine again.

I have had this exact phenomenon. I researched it but don't think it was true frostnip, although it was still scary. It started in all 8 fingers, but was only affecting 6 within the next few days. A couple weeks later, it was 4, then down to 2 after a month. Another couple weeks and numbness was all gone. You'll recover fine, just give it time.

To prevent this in the future, I agree with above sentiments, especially paying attention to hydration. This is key. Also if you have big gloves, you can slip a handwarmer in between the liner and the shell. I've done this before and it's beautiful :grin:

Nerves grow back very slowly.

Wierd as it may sound, a good way to get your hands to increase circulation, especially good for rainods, is sit in a cold place under-dressed with your hands in a tub of hot water.

It trains your body to react to cold body temps by increasing circulation to the hands.

Like I said, wierd.

Having been in the same situation, it is far better IMO to take the time on the pitch to rewarm your digits than to suffer afterwards. It is OK to place a screw (and even hang) and shake out vigorously to restore circulation, because it is far better than the alternative as you have found out.

Another reason to go leashless :noway:

122027788_5a16c1044c.jpg

Even on warm days they burn and then go numb. I don't even have close to full feeling in them. This summer at Squamish I put my rock shoes on and after a pitch or two felt some irritation so I took my show off and there was a big pebble crushing my toe. Frostbite is the suck. Try not to get it.

Same situation on both my big toes. Nerve damage. Tips go numb pretty easy, and if combined with hard-kicking the numbness can last for days or weeks.

But they were never frostbitten. I assume some increased susceptibility in the future. Good boot fit (i.e. no toe bang) seems almost as important to prevention as warmth.

Bug said Nerves grow back really slowly, well how long do they usually take? The nerves in my foot are regenerating right now and it FUCKING HURTS! Like someone is pulling out my toenails and cutting the bottom of my foot with knives while pouring salt on it and having an elephant step on it, like 1,000 sting ray stings. I got some nerve pain medicine and other pain killers but it only works a little.

I think I got frostnip on my fingers a couple years ago, one in particular, it is a numb hard white spot on the tip and every time it gets cold it peels. But damn Tobin, that looks pretty bad, how long did it take to develop to that stage, what the hell did you do?

BThe nerves in my foot are regenerating right now and it FUCKING HURTS! Like someone is pulling out my toenails and cutting the bottom of my foot with knives while pouring salt on it and having an elephant step on it, like 1,000 sting ray stings.

Something to look forward too...next year...

Hey Dave, funny I've got the same thing going on with a few of my fingers from our climb the other day. My first day back at work I kept screwing up the keystrokes because of a loss of feeling in my digets. But knowing I was back on the job it brought a smile to my face. Too funny....picking my nose was a little awkward too.

Andrew