Dying is NOT worth it.

jonmf76

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

""OK, all the recent deaths in the climbing world""

Don't buy the Faux News hype. Just because you see it on TV doesn't mean it's happening at any faster rate than it ever has been. Percentage wise climbing deaths probably haven't changed. Much of the stuff on TV news is abberation type stuff that has no relation or consequence to real life.

Lot better chance of a car accident to and from the climb than death on the climb.

You could just let all the recent hype make you climb safer. Like not putting daisies on your belay loop. And taking food/stove/insul.jacket on winter volcano ascents.

• 3 months later...

Saw a post by the universally adored Jonmf76 in the Alaska Forum, and with the advent of the Hood disaster book, thought this thread deserved a bump for renewed adulation of our hero, Jonmf76.

More Jonmf76 sagacity

For a current sampling of his concern for others, you can read this quip in the thread prompted by Lara Kellog's death (due to rappelling off the end of her rope, presumably): "Tying a knot in the rappel rope" in the Climbing Forum. -

"Maybe living just isn't that cool...it must be cooler to fall off the end of your rope."

You guys are clearly a bunch of dumb pussies.

Is everyone on this board an asshole for a specific reason or were you just born that way?

I like to think that I was born a dumb pussy due to an accident of nature, but worked hard, damn hard, to become an asshole for the specific reason of no longer being viewed as just another dumb pussy.

One thing I never forget to bring to an emergency situation is the capability of CAPITALIZING the most poignant points of my posts.

Finally, I'd like to POINT OUT that dying in the mountains is WAY COOLER than dying from, say, prostate cancer or a disease of the anus. Much as we'd like to pretend otherwise, there is a hierarchy of cool ways to buy the farm, with spaceship malfunction being pretty near the top, and a dog eating your face off while you're passed out from too much malt liquor after a meth binge being somewhere near the bottom.

Some finer points: Motorcycle accident > car accident.

Brain tumor > colon cancer. Lion attack > pitbull attack. Hit by train > hit by bus. Shot by a jealous lover > shot by your spouse.

Don't ask me why this is, it just is.

Much as we'd like to pretend otherwise, there is a hierarchy of cool ways to buy the farm, with spaceship malfunction being pretty near the top, and a dog eating your face off while you're passed out from too much malt liquor after a meth binge being somewhere near the bottom.

:lmao: :lmao:

Much as we'd like to pretend otherwise, there is a hierarchy of cool ways to buy the farm, with spaceship malfunction being pretty near the top, and a dog eating your face off while you're passed out from too much malt liquor after a meth binge being somewhere near the bottom.

You're right about the spaceship malfunction being near the top. When people ask why I climb I sometimes tell them that I do it because I was too lazy to become an astronaut, so I guess dying in space is just a little better than dying in the mountains.

I like to think that I was born a dumb pussy due to an accident of nature, but worked hard, damn hard, to become an asshole for the specific reason of no longer being viewed as just another dumb pussy.

One thing I never forget to bring to an emergency situation is the capability of CAPITALIZING the most poignant points of my posts.

Finally, I'd like to POINT OUT that dying in the mountains is WAY COOLER than dying from, say, prostate cancer or a disease of the anus. Much as we'd like to pretend otherwise, there is a hierarchy of cool ways to buy the farm, with spaceship malfunction being pretty near the top, and a dog eating your face off while you're passed out from too much malt liquor after a meth binge being somewhere near the bottom.

Some finer points: Motorcycle accident > car accident.

Brain tumor > colon cancer. Lion attack > pitbull attack. Hit by train > hit by bus. Shot by a jealous lover > shot by your spouse.

Don't ask me why this is, it just is.

Niiice.