Dying is NOT worth it.

jonmf76

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good analogy would be if you were at a crazy party where there where college girls dancing around in their thongs, and you saw one you liked but she had a big mean football player boyfriend lurking incase anyone touched her. Back up off that shizzle! She's good looking, looks hot in the thong...but that ain't no reason to die, is it? Live for another day. Perhaps you'll see her again in the library where her boyfriend wouldn't be caught dead.

And please, drop the juvenile personal attacks. They serve no purpose.

2 posts later....

You guys are clearly a bunch of dumb pussies. 30 of you looked at this post and not one of you had an original thought on the topic.

Is everyone on this board an asshole for a specific reason or were you just born that way?

How's that ADHD medicine working out for you? Might want to take something for that anger as well. You don't sound like someone either safe to climb with or fun to be stuck in a tent with at 17000'. It's people like you that force me to carry my Simon Yates serrated knife (with the nifty decoder ring).

Clearly you haven't been paying much attention to what the nonclimber climbing experts have been telling us. If you bring an MLU, GPS, avi beacon, sat phone, cell phone, super cold weather speeping bag and cloths, a weeks worth of MREs, some nitro (remember to keep it cold), matches and a little firewood, and a guide, there will be no risk involved.

Now can someone remind me what altitude camp 4 is at on the south side of hood? Where I can find some sherpas around the Portland area to help me shuttle my safety gear to basecamp?

The "Old Days"?!

Mallory attempted(/climbed?)Everest wearing less than most of us would attempt Rainier in. Probably would have made it with a more experienced partner. That sucks. It was not cool that he died. Come to think of it, I don't remember anyone ever referring to someone's climbing death as "cool". Where does that notion come from? What are we supposed to say when there is a death? "That was stupid"?

"They died doing what they love" is just one of those meaningless comfort phrases people utter. You know, like "he's with the Lord now" and "I'm going to pray for them" or "I would so hit that." It doesn't "do" anything but might make the person who said it feel better.

It sucks to be dead, but at least you don't have to read drivel online then.

" like "he's with the Lord now" and "I'm going to pray for them"

well. if you DO have some capacity in prayer and you DO have connections in the inner worlds, maybe you can do that for them but....

if you're a reverend TED kind of peep than better to say some other shit .like "maybe if they...."

You guys are clearly a bunch of dumb pussies. 30 of you looked at this post and not one of you had an original thought on the topic.

Is everyone on this board an asshole for a specific reason or were you just born that way?

Wow. You pose a really weighty philosophical question and then give people a half hour to think about it before throwing this tantrum. Are you an asshole for a specific reason or were you just born that way?

jonmf - I can't speak for the dead, but I would guess these people did not believe they would die. Yes, I think climbers are pushing limits more than they did in the old days; but it is human nature to try to achieve that which has not been achieved before. I don't think dying is in vogue with anyone. I think pushing the limits, both personally and globally, is in vogue; as it has been since Magellan attempted to circumnavigate the globe ( a trip from which he did not return).

Almost all of us acknowledge, intellectually, we are mortal. Few of have come face-to-face with another person's mortality, or our own. So most of us only have predictions about how we'll react to it.

I think when you're actually in a crisis everything can change. You might think that you understand the risks in climbing and that they are worth taking, that climbing is something vital to have in your life. You might think a brush with death would not keep you from climbing again. You might be right or you might be wrong, but there is only one way to really know, and hopefully you will never find out.