AT gear questions

manimal

due to the resort scene and expense of lift tickets I am not interested in alpine skiing..

Your advice to someone who is asking what kind of skis to buy, and who doesn't want to ski at a resort, is to... ski at a resort?

I'm guessing Manimal tuned out long ago, and has found a more helpful resource which offers less unsolicited advice.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got a point there, but his statement/query is roughly analogous to someone logging into boatertalk.com and announcing that they want to get into WW kayaking but they don't like the pool scene and they can't be bothered learning how to brace or roll on flatwater before getting into creeking. That'd probably also elicit a bit of unsolicited advice as well, I imagine.

I think he'll save time and get solid a lot quicker by starting at the resort. That's not flapping, but just my 2 cents worth, and I'm someone who also is turned off by the resort scene.

Regardless of how you do it, manimal, good luck and have a blast. And remember.."Keep those tips up"

tips_up.jpg

Now that we've commenced, or perhaps consecrated,the thread drift...I've been to quite a number of resorts, and can't say that I know what the "resort scene" is exactly. I just go there, put my stuff on, and hit the best terrain and snow conditions that I can find, and then drive home. If I'm actually staying someplace, my experiences off of the lift have no impact at all on my skiing experience, unless I stay out too late or drink too much, which I normally only do if there won't be any fresh snow to hit in the morning.

The price can be a bit steep sometimes, but if you take advantage of the deals and prioritize your spending, it's manageable.