Second ice tool for alpine

slogon

Any opinions (always opinions, especially interested in what you don't like) on a good second tool for alpine steep snow, getting over the bershrund, occasional ice, pounding pickets? Was thinking of Aztarex or Light Wing. I like the light weight idea, but do you give up too much in function?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BD shrikes, oooh yeah. (used only, I think)

Light (1lb 8oz), cheap ($40 range on ebay), what more can you ask for? Like Couloir, I wouldn't recommend the straight-shaft version of these for real ice climbing.

Those funky skinny-shaft Grivel things might be good too though? Some versions are light, but not full length. Alp Monster may be one to consider.

I used to have an HB Tornado. Wish I still had it (but maybe more as a 3rd tool). Slightly bent shaft but not so much that it's hard to pack like a leashless, really light, agressive angle, and easy to grip.

Sucky thing is that the pick was fixed and the HBs were never known for quality.

But for the price they are hard to beat. Might have a hard time finding one though (I'd check ebay).

I am thinking about getting the AztarEX for my alpine tools and selling my CF BD Prophets. They are a little lighter than the Grivel Light Wings and cheaper (36oz @ $320 a pair).

Anyone tried these tools?

If you want something like the Bull Dog pictured above, I have a a similar axe you can have for $10 with a leash.

Jedi

I am thinking about getting the AztarEX for my alpine tools and selling my CF BD Prophets. They are a little lighter than the Grivel Light Wings and cheaper (36oz @ $320 a pair).

Anyone tried these tools?

If you want something like the Bull Dog pictured above, I have a a similar axe you can have for $10 with a leash.

Jedi

I'll bet Jim at PMS had climbed with AztarExs, but I could be wrong. Might want to ask him. And, as far as the BullDog goes, that seems to be the going rate for them (I have a set, my first tools, and I won't even try to sell them) :lmao:

Gee what's wrong with the ice tools you already have?????

Oh yeah, we Americans have to complusively buy things and then cry about global warming melting out our favorite alpine ice routes and glaciers.

So I'd reccomend you get the Aztarex and spend another $180 so you can save a few ounces. BTW a bare aluminum shaft really isn't a very good idea in difficult conditions but what's a little frostbite when you can buy buy buy. Besides surfing gear shops is better than doing your job.

Sorry but I'm a little cranky today.

Edited by Coldfinger

Gee what's wrong with the ice tools you already have?????

Oh yeah, we Americans have to complusively buy things and then cry about global warming melting out our favorite alpine ice routes and glaciers.

So I'd reccomend you get the Aztarex and spend another $180 so you can save a few ounces. BTW a bare aluminum shaft really isn't a very good idea in difficult conditions but what's a little frostbite when you can buy buy buy. Besides surfing gear shops is better than doing your job.

Sorry but I'm a little cranky today.

:laf: