Mt jefferson

letsroll

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info on the Whitewater Creek Road access. How far up is the snow line right now? Did you drive all the way to the blockage? I am heading that way in a few weeks. I was in there at the Chemeketan cabin (but no further) over Thanksgiving weekend on a snowshoe trip to Pamelia Lake and the snow was at about 2500'. You should also post the info on the Access Report forum (on first page of forums). I will call the Detroit Ranger Station and report the downed tree (how big is it?). Thanks again.

The snow was on the road going over the pass. This should be melted out next week some time. I would venture a guess that the snow line will be near the hairpin turn so you will have to boot (I am guessing now) maybe a mile or two. When I get home I am going to figure out about where the log was. You will be able to drive to the blockage. I suspect they will not be interesting in moving the tree till spring and the downed tree is on the large side. Not going to be able to tow it out of the way, they are going to have to cut it up.

I know one of the rangers up there because I call that station a lot for updates on the area...they will appreciate knowing whether or not they get to it any time soon. I know a group will be up that way over the MLK holiday and I will inform their leader of it as well. Thanks again! Happy New Year

Thanks for the info on the Whitewater Creek Road access. How far up is the snow line right now? Did you drive all the way to the blockage? I am heading that way in a few weeks. I was in there at the Chemeketan cabin (but no further) over Thanksgiving weekend on a snowshoe trip to Pamelia Lake and the snow was at about 2500'. You should also post the info on the Access Report forum (on first page of forums). I will call the Detroit Ranger Station and report the downed tree (how big is it?). Thanks again.

joeschmoe (or anyone else) is any of the Pamelia Lake trailhead road plowed in the winter?

No, Pamelia Lk. road is not plowed, but they sometimes plow open the road entrance so x-skiers can park there and get off hwy 22. I was up there the Sat. after Thanksgiving on a snowshoe trip up the Grizz. and there was about 16" of snow on the road but we still managed to drive all the way to the trail head. Beware though, that the trail washed out very badly back in Oct/early Nov during the flooding and it now has a lot of big boulders and blown downs. Someone did go through and flag the trail, but we found it easier to get to the lake with map/compass than following the route through the boulders (as if you could get lost there, anyway...it's a straight shot to the lake). One bit of good news...the bathroom at the trailhead is brandspanking new as of the fall. I will post an update on the access board if I hear anything else.

• 1 month later...
I checked out Mt Jefferson on the off chance I would make it to the hairpin turn for some freshies. The road is blocked about 5 miles from the whiteriver TH by a large tree.

Letsroll, is this about where you think the large tree is?

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=44.69718&lon=-121.9279&datum=nad27&u=4&layer=DRG100&size=l&s=100

From my map software that's about 5 miles from the trailhead.

Dougd, you planning to do some skiing or snowshoeing when you head up?

Yeah, snowshoeing, and summit climb if weather permits. I'm going to be in the Portland area on business for a couple weeks and want to at least do some scouting around.

I'd like to do the climb before the snow melts off it.

If the tree's still there that makes it about a 10mi walk into Jefferson Park... hmmm

d

That looks about right or a bit futher up the road. It has been a while since I been up there. Can you do the milage for the entire road? Just wondering. Dougd winter access to Jeff Park you leave the road at the big bend nearest to the TH. You work your way up the whitewater creek to Jeff Park. I have not personally done this, but it is stated in Oregon High. Depending if my schedual permits I would join anyone looking to head up. I will be on skis. Dougd I MIGHT be talked into a snowshoe depending on conditions.

Off highway 22 it's 7.5 miles to the trailhead. Of course tree or no tree, this time of year there's still going to be snow on the road:

http://www.nohrsc.nws.gov/interactive/html/map.html?mode=pan&zoom=&center_x=++-121.8671&center_y=++44.6508&ql=station&var=ssm_depth&dy=2007&dm=3&dd=10&dh=18&snap=1&o5=1&o9=1&o12=1&o13=1&lbl=m&o7=1&min_x=-122.08374999999&min_y=44.488334019974&max_x=-121.65041666666&max_y=44.813334019974&coord_x=-121.86708333332501&coord_y=44.650834019974&zbox_n=&zbox_s=&zbox_e=&zbox_w=&metric=0&bgvar=dem&width=600&height=450&nw=600&nh=450&type=0&js=1&uc=0

I was doing some topo/aerial exploring with http://mapper.acme.com/ and there's some great color, high res aerial shots of the Mt Jefferson area which are pulled from Google's server (select the Hybrid or Satellite views). Most regions you usually have to use the "DOQ" view there to get high-res shots, but those are always in black and white, so it's fun to see some color ones.

• 3 weeks later...

A friend and I took a trip in yesterday to check access.

FS Rd 2243 is open to 1.8mi of whitewater trailhead at the big bend. That's as close as I could get with my 4x4 pick up. We snowshoed up to 4500ft in whitewater creek drainage. The going was tough. Snow has melted enough to begin exposing downed trees/limbs.

We had hoped to make it to Jefferson Park and camp but that didn't work out. :-(

It rained the whole f'ing day...

later, d

I was just going to check if this thread had been updated, cool!

Bummer on the conditions, though I guess the tree is no longer an issue then. Did you have to do a lot of plowing in the 4x4 to get to where you parked?

There were some pretty solid downpours yesterday around the metro area. I doubt it was much fun being out in it! :(

• 3 weeks later...

I would call or email the Detroit Ranger Station. I was interested in Marion Lk TH a couple weeks ago (listed no access) but when I emailed was told it was clear to TH. Things change fast and they update website slowly.

Edited by PaulO

thanks - called em. interesting...they are recommending not going to Pamelia. Evidently a very large slide has wiped out a big portion of the trail...shifted the creek path about 100 feet. Large boulders "blocking" passage at this time.

might be worth a look just to see what's changed, if not climb from the south side. anybody else been in to see this?

According to the desk, access to Whitewater is still 3 mi from TH.

Just got back from a stroll into Pamelia Lake. Parts of the trail are indeed gone, but it is easy to find your way across the washed-out sections. Watch for the pink ribbons tied to branches marking the way. Pics on the forest service website give a good idea of what you will encounter.

Still a bit of snow near the lake, but the lake is now ice-free. Did not go farther than the lake, but I would imagine the PCT to the south is still mostly snow covered.

Went up to the Whitewater Trailhead on Saturday (Stinko de Mayo). Snow drifts blocked the road about 1/2 mile prior to the trailhead (about 3,900' altitude). I am guessing that with the warm weather predicted this week, a high clearance 4wd vehicle might be able to get all the way to the TH next weekend.

There was a little snow on the trail from the storms earlier in the week, but I didn't hit skinnable snow til the turn at Sentinel Creek. The snow on the trail is drifted in and challenging due to the tree wells and made the travel to the ridge slow. That combined with the wet cement consistency of the snow, and a late start (left the car at ~9:00am), meant that I didn't get as far as I hoped.

I got a bit lost also when the trail flattened out. The trail is marked with a faded red painted blaze on widely spaced trees, and I missed out on them somehow near the top of the Sentinel hills. I climbed to the top of the ridge searching for the trail and ate a leisurely lunch with a good view of the mountain. It was clear that it would still take quite a while to get to the Glaciers; with the consistency of the snow and the late time, I decided to call it a day and headed back down.