First Winter Ascent this Friday

Jamin

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey pup, I know I have a lot to learn, but I really had an extremely high adrenaline level on Dome Peak. I am sorry that you had a bad experience and I hope you will forgive me. For me that was the best trip I have had this year.

As far as that trip with Sunil went, I was more scared during that rappel than I have ever been during any experience in my life. We both did very scary stuff that day that I don't want to do again. Believe me, I have learned from the experience.

I am a much safer and more experienced climber than I was back then.

Edited by Jamin

Jamin,

You sound like a danger to yourself. You seem to understand that.

But I am not clear that you are aware of how much danger you subjected other people to. If you were roped to me and threw yourself out of control on purpose to test my ANYTHING, I can't guarantee I would remain rational. That said, I haven't become irrational climbing in over 30 years.

People get hurt walking to the bathroom. Tendonitis or a twisted ankle can disable a climber for months. Why would you puposefully risk doing that or worse, to someone else when there are ways to learn the skills without risking injury?

Impatience I suspect. A lack of compassion perhaps. Maybe pure ignorance. All of the above?

You might as well kick them in the crotch as hard as you can. It would be less painfull overall than getting two broken legs above the boot because you decided to test their arrest skills without a backup anchor and with crampons on.

There is nothing "nice" about that. It doesn't matter how fun it is to hang out with you if you get me killed.

Am I perfect? Hell no. When I was 19 and climbing in the Valley, I was way too reckless. I finally took a 60 ft grounder that changed my attitude and that of the belayer I bounced past. The situation I was in left me with no doubt that I was about to die for the entire fall. 3 or 4 seconds is a long time to consider the stupidity of not learning and using skills that can practically guarantee your safety. Since then, several good friends have died climbing for reasons that could have been prevented easily. 20/20 hindsite for sure but why repeat their mistakes?

If you have any inclination to practice some patience and limit yourself to conservative practices while roped up, I would go out with you to teach you some alpine safety skills and practices. You would have to understand that you don't do something I tell you not to while we are roped up or to any of my equipment.

I simply do not want to see you die and/or cause someone else's death if there is something I can do to prevent it.

PM me if interested.

Don't bother if you are not interested.

I will not debate this or participate in this thread any further.

I'll drive.

I failed. Failed miserably. I am ashamed to call myself a climber. I think I might need some pro for it though. It looks like this. I made the right decision and turned around because I was going solo.IMG_0118_cr.jpg

Edited by Jamin

Jordan, i know of a place...a secret place, where contours are so close, they create a quantum singularity. It's an hour and a half right off the road and it's 1,500 feet. Should be good. Don Serl saw it once and went insane. He clawed out his eyeballs.

As far as not trying. I did 3900 vertical feet, 2.5 miles, offtrail, solo, in 5.25 hours, in soft unconsolidated snow up to my knees, after I crossed the North Fork Skykomish. I turned around at about 1:15.

Edited by Jamin

G-man:

He won't need those silly things, as long as you don't "make" him go alone again.

"Ever since that day on Mount Baring, I have resolved to go climbing with someone else for safety. Don't make me go solo guys. I am not really any more dangerous than other climbers out there." --Jamin

Frankly, I really think he should accompany Arc on Thermogenesis. If nothing else, he can be the stat keeper for the TR.

Hi Jamin,

Which peak is it exactly? I looked around on the map in the area around Index and couldn't figure out which peak you were going for. I didn't see the name you mentioned, but if you give me a location (e.g. relative to a peak or a landmark that will definitely be on my topo map) I'll be able to find it. I'm just curious since I've followed this whole thread both here and on NW hikers.

Thanks.

Jamin, You obviously have balls big enough to do amazing things. I believe that the consensus of this thread is that you now need to work on the brain. If you look at the amazing things that some of our greatest climbers have accomplished, most wise men would have stayed home and not taken the risks; your balls would come in handy at those times. On the otherhand, they took those risks without endangering others, and only when those risks were necessary to accomplish their goals. With more training ahead of time, your ambition could lead you to great things to which the people on this site would honor you rather than think you the fool they do now.

There are many here who would gladly help you learn what is necessary, but you would first have to accept the fact that there is more to learn, and that “unnecessary risk” is by definition unnecessary. Until then, I applaud your willingness to take those risks while solo, as I believe every adult has the right to control their own life, and thus their own demise. Good luck sir, if you ever need a mentor let me know.