First Winter Ascent this Friday

Jamin

Well, I am still determined to get a first winter ascent (FWA) of a peak. I am thinking about doing a certain peak in the hwy 2 area. Getting to the peak will involve 6.8 miles, 4400 vertical feet, and a class 3 river crossing all offtrail. I scouted out a ford of the river about a week ago. There were 3 main channels and 3 smaller channels. I crossed all but the last channel solo. I could have crossed the last channel (It was actually shallower than one of the channels that I crossed), but I had lost feeling in most of my toes. Hip waders would be extremely useful for this climb. The river should be no more than waist deep. When I crossed it, it was just above my knees. This will be a difficult but exciting trip.

If anyone is interested in coming, let me know at j7jamin at yahoo.com . This is not a trip for people without extensive offtrail experience.

Weather is supposed to be partly cloudy and clear.

Edited by Jamin

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude...

enough with the huge buildup of these FWA's.

Just put out a request for a partner for an alpine trip.

If you get something good... great. Post a TR and send the submission to Alpinist.

If not, better luck next time.

Heed Alasdair's advice... I have been out the past few days, the snow is super unstable! Just a warning.

Have fun with the river crossings!

Think I'll go do some climbing instead.

Leave the kayak in the garage until spring.

Come on guys the elevation of this peak is barely 5000 feet. Once I get across the river the terrain is merely class 3. Lots of people can do this kind of gain in a day. It will be a fun climb, but it would be better if we had a few other guys to help break trail.

I already have one other guy who is coming with me. I estimate that the peak can be done in six hours once the river is crossed. I know of only two people who have ever been in that area. One of them took 6 hours solo to get to the lake that is .25 miles south of the peak. I think that it is doable in a day. Are you guys so fearful that you are not going to come with me. :cool:

Moderate avalanche danger is a go. You would rarely get in the backcountry during winter if you were not willing to go in moderate avalanche danger. This peak is only 5000 feet high.

If conditions are bad, an alternate destination will be chosen. However, the weather is supposed to be great. The only reason why this peak hasn't been done already in the winter is because it is inconspicous and because of the river.

Edited by Jamin

Let me get this straight...

You are planning to bushwack through the forest, cross 3 freezing cold rivers, brave the avy conditions and winter weather... all to hike a 3rd class route on a 5000ft +/- satellite peak just because it hasn't been done in the winter?

As much fun as it sounds...

Even though I do have the day off...

Thanks for the invite but I think I'll go climbing.

Let me get this straight...

You are planning to bushwack through the forest, cross 3 freezing cold rivers, brave the avy conditions and winter weather... all to hike a 3rd class route on a 5000ft +/- satellite peak just because it hasn't been done in the winter?

As much fun as it sounds...

Even though I do have the day off...

Thanks for the invite but I think I'll go climbing.

perhaps the reason it has no known winter ascents is because the folks that climbed it didn't see fit to mention it. I didn't submit a TR this summer when I took my wife up Das Toof either.

Yeah... that is kind of what I was getting at with my comment...

Has Mt. Si been climbed during the winter... cause I was thinking about doing that. I hear there is some sick 3rd class... maybe up to 4th class scrambling to get to the top of the "haystack"... think I'll try a FWA on that one!

Look for the TR soon.

Mount Si has been done in the winter a million times. This peak is remote. Talk about wilderness.

I am not exactly sure that it is not a class 5 peak. I hope not, because I am not interested in doing frozen class 5 in the middle of winter. I am attatching a picture of the west face. The east face should be a walkup, but it may not be. I do not know the guy who did the FA in 1992. Come on guys, stop attacking my idiocy, and say you want to come along. It will be some awesome climb. IMG_1328_1_.JPG

Edited by Jamin

some light reading for you folks

little background :D

more

there is more where that came from. Enjoy.

It is not all about who has the biggest dick (well to you and some others it may be)Jamin. Like I said it is cool if you want to go at this alone or another who knows what they are getting into with you. But asking strangers to partner up On a FWA that you "don't even know if it is class 5", with 14m rt(or is it 7 rt?) on Snow shoes, river crossing, avy danger, in one day is silly.

More power to ya!

Edited by tazz