A January day (or two) at Red Rocks - what to do?

I'd like to fly down next month for a day of climbing, temps permitting. Maybe Feb if not. Thought I'd fly in Friday night, climb Saturday then fly out either Saturday night or Sunday morning. Could maybe take a Friday off and head out Thursday night instead. Of course, all depends on convincing one of my lazy, hibernating climbing partners that too much plastic is bad for them. Not having much luck with that so far.

Just wanna get out of snowville and enjoy some rock. Sooo, was looking for something long, south facing, 5.6ish to 5.7ish and not run out/easy pro. Could do up to 5.10 if my partner is willing to lead the stiffer pitches though. Solar Slab looks about right but with an early start, should be able to get something else in too? Something nearby?

For those who've been there, what's the cost of a rental car? How far is the drive from the airport? Any recommendations for eats and camping?

Thanks.

Edited by spotly

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Johnny Vegas looks very fun. Any suggestions for the descent. I hear the gully kinda sucks but in order to avoid the rap/downclimb/rap mess, you have to use the anchors short of the top - true?

So far, two friends "somewhat" interested but not holding my breath - the slackers!

If you do all 14 pitches of solar slab (some are just scrambles so its very doable), just make sure you get an early start. I was there in the late fall and was descending the gullies until way after dark; looking for rap slings in the dark sucked.

Also look at Olive Oil (5.7 moderate, rated R but not bad)and Frogland (very fun 5.8).

Thanks. Johnny Vegas looks very fun. Any suggestions for the descent. I hear the gully kinda sucks but in order to avoid the rap/downclimb/rap mess, you have to use the anchors short of the top - true?

So far, two friends "somewhat" interested but not holding my breath - the slackers!

At least one third of all individuals who rappel Johnny Vegas get their ropes stuck. The gully is actually pretty cruiser.

Jason