Ecuador Volcano Climbs Feb 2-9

Montana_Climber

I'm going to Ecuador for the week of Feb 2-9. If anyone is interested in going down there as well, let me know. I have a partner for the first two climbs I'll be attempting but he's not up for trying a third mountain in one week.

My plan is fairly dangerous and I may not succeed but it's worth a try. The mountains and routes are not technical, just some altitude.

After arriving in Quito on day one, I'll take a rest day to acclimate and then on day 3 climb Gagua Pichincha (~17,000'). On day 4, I'll go to Cotopaxi base camp (~16,500') to prepare for the summit on day 5 (~19,000'). Day 6 will take me to Chimborazo base camp (~18,000') in anticipation of making the summit (~21,000') on day 7. Return to Quito on Day 7 and then fly out on Day 8.

If anyone else is as insane as me, let me know. I previously went from sea level to 23,000' in 5 days without a problem so I'm not too worried about the altitude unless it gets me this time.

PM if interested.

Bill

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GOOD LUCK, I SPENT NOVEMBER ALLALONG THE AVE. 3 DAYS IN QUITO BY THE THIRD DAY KNOCKING OUT A SLOW 1/2 MARATHON RUN. PICHINCHA IS A GOOD STARTER 3 HOURS TOTAL TIME. ILINIZAS ARE A MUST CLIMB ALSO. COTOPAXI TAKE THE SOUTH ROUTE (BETTER HUT) CAYAMBE IS WELL WORTH THE TROUBLE TO GO NORTH, CHIMBORAZO WITHIN REASON ALSO. THE WEATHER WAS CRAP ON THE BIG THREE, WITH TURN AROUNDS UPON EACH...GOOD LUCK MAY YOU CLAIM THEM ALL YOUR PRIZE.