Gear Stolen from Rescuer

Zenolith

Apologies if this is has been posted.

A fellow rescuer sent this email out. I know its a long shot but this site sees a lot of traffic so... If you hear of any sales fitting these descriptions (ebay, etc.) please PM me. I will pass on the information to the owner and he can check it out himself. Just asking for your eyes, nothing more. Thanks.

"Last night 12/03/06 nearly everything I own, all outdoor gear, was Stolen from my vehicle, via two broken windows. I would estimate that value of these goods to be in the range of $10,000. I highly doubt that the person who stole them will use them. With this in mind...

If any person hears of the [suspicious] sale of used backpacking, mountaineering, or climbing equipment including but not limited to: MSR snow shoes,arc'tyrix shell pants, black prophets, ice axes, crampons, older dana designs and osprey backpacks, TNF sleeping bags, OR bivy sack, DTS tracker beacon, Orange Patagonia shell jacket, puff ball jacket and pants, ski helmet,pickets, avi probe, a Suunto T6 watch, Suunto vector watch, medical kits,several assorted base layers and other outdoor clothing..."

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That really sucks. The perpetrator should be taken into an old barn, nailed to a chair by his scrotum (though it is difficult to believe he posseses testicles, and if he does they are probably stolen). Then the barn should be set on fire and he gets a dull kitchen knife handed to him. And then shot when he comes running out.

If this occurred while they were on a SAR mission, they may be able to make a claim through their SAR unit.

Unfortunately this is not the case for most SAR units .. the cost involved here is way more than most SAR teams can afford. Also, the State of Oregon does not have an "gear insurance" plan for lost/broken gear during a SAR mission (unlike Washington that does have such a plan). He may be able to plead his case to the MHSAR Council for some re-imbursement but again the amount involved is quite substantial.

This is a sad state of affairs when s*&t like this happens.

Burn in hell swiper!!

:anger:

That really sucks. The perpetrator should be taken into an old barn, nailed to a chair by his scrotum (though it is difficult to believe he posseses testicles, and if he does they are probably stolen). Then the barn should be set on fire and he gets a dull kitchen knife handed to him. And then shot when he comes running out.

I think that was the plot for the last James Bond flick. But I concur.

I'll keep my eyes open, it would be real nice to catch someone like this. BTW, seriously - homeowners insurance should cover it. I had someone break into my truck (parked in front of my home) and they covered 2 tool boxes full of primo tools. Less a $500 deductable, but it's amazing how much $ it all added up too.

Let your buddy know he'll need to file a police report to collect from his insurance. It will also help him shut down the sale of his gear faster if someone sees it on ebay or elsewhere. Also, if he's got the serial numbers on the electronics and/or watches and files a report, he will have a better chance of getting them back should they happen to show up at a pawn shop.

Btw, somewhat related tip....if you ever fly to go climbing and buy your plane ticket with amex, you automatically have trip insurance that you can collect against if your gear is stolen or lost. But, the limit on electronics is $250. And you have to file a police report.

Damn! If it was a climber(s) who stole that gear, they had better check their karma. That's one think I can't imagine effing with...stealing other climber's gear. Karma can be a harsh judge.

This person will get theirs someday. Good luck, if nothing else, on getting insurance to pay out. I had my car broken into once and they ripped out my CD player and a full book of CDs. I had a $500 deductable, but I still got a great payout. The insurance company gave me $17 for each CD as well as more than what the player was worth, plus CarToys gave me a 10% discount with proof of a police report.

So, if you have insurance, definitely file a police report and do whatever you can to collect from the insurance company. Even with a deductable, you should get a very generous payback. I'm sure those who stole your stuff will get payback too.